My 3 new babies....information please

(Zone 4a)

Okay so I sort of told a little fib - I thought I was done my gardening for the year but I couldn't resist getting a few more plants but that is ALL - promise LOL....

I got a pink coreosis (american dream or something like that). Just curious to know how yours grow? I don't know anyone around here who has one but I know my yellow moonbeam did so brilliant the last few years...I hope this plant is the same! Gosh I hope it comes back next year.

I also got the Vernonica "sunny border blue" which I have been wanting for a long time. Anyone have advice or comments about this plant?

I also got a Calamintha grandiflora variegata....not sure why I purchased this one but I loved the little pink flowers against the varigated leaves. Anyhow comments or advice for this one?

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Had Sunny Border Blue and got rid of it. It gets really ugly 'legs' so be sure to plant something that will cover it. Also, with each season it bloomed less and looked ratty. Sorry!

(Zone 4a)

Oh great!!! Well thanks for the comments Victor....I do appreciate it. That is too bad :(

May work better for you, who knows?

Victor,

I have to respectfully disagree with your opinion of 'Sunny Border Blue!

It's true that the bloom spikes "split" to form the "legs", but other than that-with fairly constant pinching, mine just gets more full and attractive. I've had the clump 7 years now, at the front of the border in full sun.

I did find that , here, I need to water sparingly-or it does, indeed, get ratty looking.

My clump is very well behaved-has slowly enlarged to about 18" wide, from starting with a small 3" pot 7 yrs ago. I have taken a couple small sections of the root to put in a couple other full sun beds, as well. It transplants easily.

Dawn,
If your pink coreopsis is the little fine leafed one, you should love it! Such an airy looking little plant, that just gets covered with the delicate little daisy-like blooms.
Mine was a short-lived perennial, but I have to admit it was in a bed that usually is pretty self sufficient.
Next time I get one, I will plant it in one of the full sun beds close to the house, and give it a bit more care. Definitely a front-of-the-border selection.

/Enjoy your plants!!
Sasha

As I said to Dawn, results may vary, as they do with all plants. I dead headed mine, they were in a well-drained area in good soil and still performed as I described. I can only speak for my experience.

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Dawn, I have a Sweet Dreams - just got it last year. If yours and mine are anything like the Moonbeams they'll readily self-sow.
As far as your Calamintha goes . . . I hope you don't have cats! My three darlings love to lay beside (and sometimes on top of!) my Catmint and munch on it. I have to keep one of those cheap wire fences around it each Spring until it's big enough to fend for itself! Other than that, just cut it back after the first flowering, or when the leaves start to turn brown. Here's a pic of my purple-flowered catmint (on the right).

Thumbnail by PrimroseSue
Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Oh, by the way, Dawn - no one is EVER done with their gardening for the year! I just picked up a miniature rose on clearance this afternoon.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.