More help!!!!gladiolas... moving plants...

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

ok, I am planting some new roses where I have some gladiolas.... and my gladiolas are done... and I am going to plant them someplace else... can I dig them out now and just plant them in pots until is time to let them dry out for the winter???

I got some japanese irises - when I plant them tomorrow should I cut them down??? if so what size should I trim???

Black eye susans and Purple cone flowers.... when is a good time to harvest seeds???

thanks everyone!!!!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Kass - you will want to let the coneflower heads fully brown and then cut them off.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/762571/

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Kassia, on the glads, you should wait 6 weeks after blooming before you do anything at all. If it has been six weeks since they bloomed, then you can dig them out, lightly clean and put them in some hose or mesh bag and hang in a protected place until next spring. I don't know if it would be OK for you to put bulbs in a pot right now. hopefully somebody will comment on that.

Because of my zone, I don't normally dig them out of the ground, but when I want to share or replant elsewhere, it has been a major task. Make sure you eat your wheaties on the day you dig them out.

(Zone 4a)

Will they bloom the first year from seed?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Rudbeckia will - echinacea won't.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Vossner and Al... I need to plant some roses where the glads are... and I need to plant my roses ASAP so they get time to grow some more roots and be ok for the winter...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.