Has anyone had experience with any of these greenhouses?

Mequon, WI(Zone 4b)

I am thinking of buying a small, temporary greenhouse. Has anyone had any experience with either of these models:

- AFC Greenhouse Portable Greenhouse (10' x 6', Solaron cover, steel frame, front & rear screened vents, $279)

- Dreamhouse FH500DH (8' x 8', Gro-Tec cover, 4 screened vents per side, $249)

- Plant-n-Grow (9' x 9', Gro-Tec cover, 12 screened vents, fiberglass frame, $399 with shade cloth)

TIA

Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

I am interested in this also. I have a small deck that I can put the greenhouse out on. If not these models, does ayone have any ideas or tips for easy up, easy down greenhouses or any other ideas for starting seeds late March in Central WI?? I should add there is really no room in the house to place small containers around.

Mequon, WI(Zone 4b)

Okay, maybe because these aren't "real" greenhouses I should post on another forum?

I simply cannot believe no one has any opinions on either of these companies or their products.

Can't someone help me?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

People post here about the cheaper sort of greenhouses too, my guess is people just haven't used the brands you mentioned--you did ask specifically for people who've had experience with those models. I'm not sure where you'd post to find more people who've tried those, this is definitely the right forum. I ran into the same thing when I was buying a "real" greenhouse last year, there just wasn't anyone who'd tried one of the brands I was interested in.

If you could post some links to websites that show them that might help, maybe someone actually has one of these but just doesn't recognize the name, but seeing the picture would help. Or at least people could look at it and offer some opinions based on what they see even if they haven't tried it themselves.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I was waiting for someone with experience to pipe up :) I went and googled all three and here if my two cents for what it is worth. The first one looks nice. It's taller which appeals to me. Total square footage is 60 feet. Pro's are height of 7'6". Rigid door frame and ability to stake it down or anchor it. And I found it on sale for $249 at the site.
The second one is cool in that it pops up.. so set up would be very fast.. Total square footage is slightly more at 64". It's not quite as tall at 6'5" but unless youare tall that shouldn't be an issue.
The third one I would rule out.. Yes it's slightly larger but you are paying $150 more for just 17 more square feet.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Well, I am hoping to get a greenhouse this Fall... Like REAL soon.. I'm thinking of just putting up the Cattle Panel Hoophouse for the winter.. Funds are limited and it looks the easiest to me!
These all look quite small and I have brugs.. so I need space.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

do you have wind where you are? those greenhouses look flimsy to me especially with wind......for 100 more dollars you can get a harbor freight....alot have used those here and are please with the exception of the setting up of the greenhouse....they say the directions are NOT good on how to put it together

Mequon, WI(Zone 4b)

I really need a greenhouse that can just sit on the deck - maybe some tie downs or something but that is it. I do have winds, as I am not too far from the lake. Maybe I would be better off with some of the smaller enclosures that are only a few feet high? Something like this:

http://www.allgreenhouses.com/Flowerhouse-FHSD100-XJ1004.html

This is 34"H x 48"W x 48"D and should be fairly sheltered by the deck walls.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

i have bad winds where i am so i trust nothing; who knows...it may work for you....i will keep watching to see what you decide and how it works:)

Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

Can you post a picture of your deck? Then we can see just what your space is like.

Mequon, WI(Zone 4b)

It is dark here already - I will post some pictures tomorrow.

sticks_n_stones: thanks for letting me be the guinea pig!

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

(grin)....only cause i have been where you are ....thinking thinking think about greenhouses....; i even have a portable 8 x 6 that is still in the box sitting in my dining room from 2 yrs ago.....the winds would rip it to shreds...

Mequon, WI(Zone 4b)

lol - That is why I am asking for advice. The more I think about it, the less I am inclined to get one of the first three I mentioned. I really don't want to spend the two months or so worrying every day if the wind and/or snow is ripping them apart. But I would really like to start plants from seed (I have already been collecting seeds to start), so maybe the smaller "coldframes" will work better. I am leaning towards that solution right now :) We will see what Santa brings me!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

To be honest, you could build one very easily out of pvc and lumber or cattle panels and lumber. I've done both. It would cost a lot less than those kits. Cattle panels are quite sturdy and would need no other reinforcement once you arch it and attach it to lumber. For about $16, you can get one and instantly have a hoop house 6' tall and 8' wide and about 4.5' long. Mine was 25' long and was great for getting a jump on the season! When I was done with it, we took it apart, used the plastic for tarps and the cattle panels and lumber for other things. No mess!

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

or build one with old windows

OR ....you could wintersow your seeds....i am planning to do that this year myself and that means all you need is plastic containers....milk jugs, takeout containers etc....lots of good reports with 'wintersowing'

the thing that killed me with a portable type greenhouse...not the kind that badseed is talking about....but the original 3 was that i was putting alot of $ into something that could blow down one night and i would have no more plants...

Fulton, MO

Jeannie, I have been following this forum and/or the "other" forum for about 4 years now and I would make this observation...nobody comes back and tells of their successes with these kinds of greenhouses. I can only guess that it is for all the reasons mentioned, in addition to the fact that temperature regulation with this kind of structure is nightmarishly difficult.

Mequon, WI(Zone 4b)

Stressbaby - I think I have pretty much come to that same conclusion.

This is the deck I was thinking of using for raising seedlings. I think I will end up mostly wintersowing. If I find any plants I want to raise from seedlings that cannot be wintersown, I may get one of the small 34"H x 48"W x 48"D enclosures.

Thumbnail by Jeannie63
Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

jeannie...that would be an ideal place for some type of lean too house....or a small one made with windows that utilize the structure already there without damaging it:)

Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

I was hopping for a green house on that deck but I guess we will have to settle for winter sowing. :( Maybe I can start collecting old windows and in a couple of years we can put up a nice greenhouse in my back 40. (I own my place vs. Jeannie's rental.)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.