S.E. GA. RU October 27th Information #1

Donna in Douglas, GA(Zone 8b)

Hey There Fellow Gardener,

SORRY THIS South East Georgia Round-Up HAS BEEN CANCEL!

I'm sorry to say that I'm going to have to CANCEL October 27 round-up. Due to my father's death in July, looks as if I'll be in court a good part of October. The timing couldn't of been any worst for me, just so stress. I did think the RU would be a good thing but there's always next year. Just maybe my life is back to normal again.

I was hoping everything would have work-out in court by now. You can bet I'll be planning another RU for 2008!

So sorry to have cancel,
Donna

This message was edited Oct 4, 2007 2:08 AM

Reserve for Updates

I send out several (bunches & bunches) d-mail's and just found out that for some strange reason those 3 links are still in black. I hope everyone can find there way around!

So sorry about that.
Donna

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Donna, I just have a question about the worm castings. How long can I "keep" them. I mean I almost done (are we ever done??) with front yard and in 2 or 3 months time I will be working on backyard. Can I keep castings fresh???? If yes, maybe there's some one coming to RU from Atlanta??
Coby

You just have to keep the casting moist- on the damp side- in a shady spot would be good. I still have 3 bags in my shade house and I give them a little soaking once a week.
Going to use casting for rooting cuttings, I've seen it works fast with coleus.

I sure hope some of the North Ga.& North Fl. folks do decide to come, it was a 3 hour drive for me to attend Jonesboro RU. But worth it, what FUN! Not much talking going on now about the RU. Guess in a few weeks folks will know if they are planning to come or not. It's nice when I do get a reply back from the d-mails I sent out.

Donna

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

How much in 1 bag/ like 5lb or 10lb and how much sq.foot can treat with it. Do you who is coming from this end? Like Sterrhill, Soulgarden or GirlGroupGirl. I can maybe strike a deal with them. You still have 1 bag from the RU in May? Golly, well I can keep it for few months then too. Certainly now weather is gettign cooler should be easier then. How much was 1 bag anyway? Do you remember? I mean $$$
Coby

Worm Casting is $20 per each 50 lb bag.

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I believe I'm safe in saying that I will not be making the so Ga.trip, but I sure am sorry.I believe I told some of you that our old dog has seizures, and it is more than we can stand at times.Barbara, alone would not be able to take care of her.
I am going to start some peanut butter shrub cuttings this fall, and hope that I do enough to go around for the spring swap.I do want every one to know that I will miss them so much.Mike

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

We will miss you Mike. What kind of dog do you have? Save me some peanut butter shrub!

Does anyone know if cuttings be done from a tea olive shrub? I heard they smell really nice. I don't think I ever seen one in person.

I do hope folks who can will try to make the trip. Thirty folks would be wonderful, twenty would be great, ten would eat alot of BBQ!

Deborah

Mike we will for sure miss you, but I fully understand. I hope for the best for your dog & family.

Deb, want me to start you a few Tea Olive's might be ready for spring planting. I'll get some started next week.

Looks like were going to have a small group at the RU so far. It's the right time of year for planting but wrong time to get together or so it seems. I do have HIGH hope's that there will be at least 20 folks attending!

I'm sorry, Deborah I had a very loooong winded phone call from someone who might just make it a hobbie, and didn't get you the answer you ask.My dog is a weimerainer, weighs 70+lbs.and is so spoiled.she is also 13years old.Barbara can't handle her if she falls, and that is becomming more common.I don't think I could ever get another dog, and will have to make that emphitic to the children, and Grands.
I certinally will include you in the penut butter shrub, I should have rooted by spring.Mike

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Thank you so much, Mike. I love the kind of dog you have. Their eyes just shine.

Deborah

I will have to miss this trade too - my October is shaping up to be crazily busy,
Thank-you Donna for the warm invite and I hope you all have a wonderful time!

girlgroupgirl

Oh gosh ... I'm so sorry to hear about your dog, Mike. It's so hard when our babies are old and start needing our assistance. My guide dog is 12 and beginning to show her years. It sure is difficult. I'm going to miss meeting you and GG. I was so looking forward to it. If you have enough, I'd sure appreciate it if you'd put my name on one of your cuttings. I'll find something to offer in return.

Donna, me and the DH are still planning on being there and are looking forward to the BBQ. Your DH is a Jewel to do that for us. :) You better be extra nice to him between now and then. LOL
~SusanE

Susan, not to worry, I'll start a batch soon, and should be enough for all who want one.Mike

Thanks Mike! :) We're sure gonna miss you. Give that pooch a smooch for us, ok? :)

Looks like I'm going to have to around up some Local gardener's &Garden Clubs to join us. We'll see what the attends is the first of October brings.

It's seems to be not the best time to have a RU, everyone soon busy. Will in all honesty I chose the 27th because it was so close to my birthday so I could celebrate it with you all!
(Oct. 23 BD) Oh well that just more cake for the rest of us!! lol!!

Donna

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

Dont give away my piece of cake yet! I am still trying. LOL

chris

That's good to here, Chris!
I've got a large shipment of aster's coming in for the RU if anyone interested.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Donna, I am planning on coming too, with a friend in tow...so don't give away my cake either..LOL That is the same Birthday of one of my nieces! Sweet girl too!!

How many do you have listed thus far?

Many 20 with a few of my freinds coming also! I'm ordering several plants for the WILDLIFE (birds, butterflies & hummer's) to have on hand at RU. If anyone interested in the plant list send me a e-mail @ dvincent23@hotmail.com
Should have the list complete with 2 weeks.

Janet glad to here your coming!!! WHORAY!!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I can't wait!!

If anyone has a camper or RV and would like to come friday. I do have room for overnighter's & It's free!

Woohoo Janet ... can't wait to finally meet you! :)
~Susan

Well I have decide what SWEET"S we are having! Hope you like my choice's!

Chocolate Icing Birthday Cake with thin layer's
Bulldog Brittle- Go DOG"S!!
Fudge Squares
Orange Glazed Pound Cake
Pumkin Pie

And of course BBQ - Bake Beans - Slaw and Sweet Tea.
Can you see that I'm in to SWEET'S!!!

You just have to come off that diet on Saturday! LOL!!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Will Roger grill me some Gator Tail?

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

LOL...you are too funny Deb! Is the Georgia/Florida game that Saturday? Oh, my...

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Yep! Anyone want to trade tickets for plants?

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

You have tickets? Or plants? LOL I don't know anyone with theses tickets that are giving them up YET...maybe a little closer to game time. Is it going to be a Home game? It should be a good game!

What time dose the game start? We gotta TV in the pool house at least we can keep up with the score!
Deb, you find you a gator tail and Rog will grill it!! And help you eat it too!!!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Janet, no tickets for me. I'd sell'em if I had them 'cause I'll be in Douglas but Larry would love to trade my plants off for tickets if he could. LOL He claims I have a fortune tied up in the back yard.
I don't remember if we were Home or Away last year. We'll be the opposite of what we were last year. I don't really see where that matters anyway. The neutral field site, of course, is in Jacksonville and the TV people haven't decided on the game time. They may not even annouce the time until maybe a week before or the Monday before the game. It's usually in the 3:30 time slot though. Just depends on both of our rankings. I think CBS calls the shots on game time.

Donna, ever ate at Gator Tails Restaurant? They'll even take you on a pontoon boat ride to see the suckers. It's near Withlacoochee, east of Nashville.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Well, I too have a fortune in my backyard..LOL BUT Mike has spent many times over playing Golf for the past 36 years!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

LOL! I hear ya!

Never been on the boat ride but have been to Gator Tails! Mmmmm. :) I've got a fortune in my yard in flower pots *alone.* I'm a sucker for a pretty flower pot. LOL

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

You've got some of those earthen pots, don't you Susan? I've heard that those and the self-watering kind are the way to go.

Yeah sure do. I've got a lot of self watering also. I'm sold on the EB's for my tomatoes. I plan to put my cucumbers and peppers in them next year, also. I'm threatening to put some pansies in 1 for the fall. Tplant ... a member here plants everything in them. I love pansies and salvia. Might give it a try. They'll be sitting here empty until spring. :)

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Throw some bulbs in for Spring too..I would!

Deb, Roger got a big kick out of the gator tail grillin. Will have a time with cuz if she does come. You know she a big gator fan! My Butterfly Book's arrive today and I'm so glad I purchase these! I'm on FIRE now, call the fire dept. to cool me down!!!! lol!! I'm add more to my BS order again. Hope to get down to MO Natives and pick up another load soon!!

Susan my be I could find those self watering pot at wholesale. Is there a name on the pot? I know there not cheap either, might have to buy in bulk. I'll look through my trade catalogs, see what I can find!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Susan, Janets suggestion about planting bulbs in pots is a great idea! Here's a link to growing daffodils in pots.

http://daffodilusa.org/daffodils/potgrowing.html

My butterfly book stays out where I can grab it when I see a butterfly I don't know. It will never be in a magazine rack or book case ever. Hugs! Donna.

Cool Deborah ... I went there and read that ... bookmarked it too. Thanks for the info. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.