Starting over with bearded iris....

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Hello iris addicts! I moved in May from a cool, moist, wooded area where all the TBs I planted became infected with Iris leaf spot, and I was never able to get it under control. Now I live in a sunny, open area where my sun-lovers are once again thriving happily. I left all my iris behind because I didn't want to risk bringing the scourge here.

Now I'm ready and excited to bring one of my favorite flowers back to my garden! Starting from scratch, and never having seen a bearded iris I didn't like, I "need" any and all varieties I can get my grubby paws on, lol. From big, ruffled beauties to minis to heirlooms, I love 'em all.

If any of you have extra rhizomes of any beardeds you could spare for postage or trade (for other perennials) I'd be most appreciative. I'm not concerned with names, but would like to know the color, although thats not a total "must" either. Beggars can't be choosers, lol.

Thanks,
Neal

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

hi,
did you see the posting for iris giveaway to newbies? Wandasflowers is kindly sharing her iris bounty with us. take a look, she just posted she has more left.
tracie

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I have Going My Way and an old old purple one. I just shipped a box out today for Priority Mail postage. I'd be happy to do the same for you. The price was $5.25 If interested send me a Dmail with your address.

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

Neal,
I have a few of the heirlooms I could send you.
Sending u dmail.

RJ

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

mittsy,
Do you have any more of the purple ones? I'm betting they're the ones I grew up with, and can't seem to find. I love the new ones, too, but these are still the "real" iris to me :). This is my first day on this forum, and it seems a very friendly place, with lots of people who are willing to be patient with knownothing Newbies. Thanks to you all!

Margo

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks so much mittsy and RJ, will dmail addy! I love heirlooms and blues and purples are my favorites :)

Thanks Tracie, I did see Wanda's offer, but I'm not really a newbie, just newly hanging out in this forum. I am hoping to see big wads of iris in a few years just like Wanda's glorious pics!

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Gemini, I ordered 'way more than I can manage from Bleek's website-they ship to me on 9/24-I can share those with you, absolutely. Just let me know. Plus, I have a little surprise something here for your Kentucky home that I forgot to put in your coop boxes last spring.
:-)

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Awesome Laura! I'd love a sampler, just let me know how much $ to send. Oooohhh, and a surprise! So sweet of you, you're the best (guess the ex would say you're the beast, LOL).

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

lol
good! I'll let you know when I ship and you can just send postage. Someday I'm sure you'll do the same for me! I'm rather surprised you didn't get any callas or mixed orientpet lilies. :-)

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Sending you Dmail with a miniature dwarf pic. From your wild Lilium canadense seed, I have 30-40 tiny little plants. Thanks.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Neal,

I don't know if your new place will accomodate JIs and sibs, but if so, I can send you some in the spring.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Laura, doing the happy dance here! And you know it, anything I got, you want it, you got it too! If there are perennials you're looking for, do be sure to let me know. I'm moving peonies from the old garden in a couple of weeks and am sure to have some of those to share (didn't I see somewhere that you're ordering peonies?).

Awesome, Rick! I'm thrilled to hear of your success with the Canada lilies! Inanda has baby bulblets too.

Polly, great to hear from you! Hope all is well. And thanks bunches! Looking like the Sibs are going to thrive here; the divisions I've moved have thickened up quickly. I have a single JI that looks pretty good in spite of the dry year, and I've seen some grown nearby that make me think they'll be happy. I think acidifying the soil is my main concern here for them.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

All is great, Neal, thanks.

I'll have a nice group of sibs and JIs for you in the spring, then. I don't know if you're interested in species, and water iris (don't really need too much water), but I have quite a few of those. I'll let you know what I have later, but I'm talking versicolors, virginicas, and the like.

Are you in the addy exchange?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Oooohh, any that don't require bog conditions I'd love to try! I am in the addy exchange.
Thanks!

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

:-)
I haven't been able to see the one peony that was in the ground at least two years before I moved in (so minimum 5 years in the ground) bloom. It makes nice bushy foliage, but no buds. I don't think it's consistenly cold enough here, or at least not up here by the house. The lower part of the property gets frosted, but not the top. Peonies are one of my favorites, too, but not enough to keep trying and not get blooms.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I think you're right, not enough cold period. I don't think I'd ever find myself complaining about that though, lol.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

me either; I don't complain about the super-hot days, either. I'd always rather be hot than cold any time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.