Having a weed problem....anyone....

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

else dealt with a weed called Pilea microphylla? I thought it was a fern at first...very small, almost succulent with seds that shoot out of the flowers. It is also called the Artillery Plant...

We have tried 3 or 4 herbicides...AND the torch and it kills the plant which comes right back (from seeds, I suspect)...Round up does nothing and it laughs are Garlon.

Any suggestions? will try to get a photo up tomorrow.....

This message was edited Sep 4, 2007 4:31 PM

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hiya Carol! Boy, I don't know what to tell you on this one. I like the look of my Artillery Plant. Have it coming up in several pots, where it stays nice and low while the "feature presentation" can grow up tall. Its such a nice bright green, and kind of lacy looking that I never even thought of it as a weed. Maybe you can work out some sort of treaty type compromise with it?

Artillery fern is a proper fern.... the weed looks very similar but is not the same as far as I was told, and yes, I agree, it's very invasive. I just use the old 'pull it out' method..... I know, hard on the back....

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I have pilea m. prostrata...was how it was labeled. It really does fill in quickly ---great ground cover when in a non-hardy place.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Hmmmmm and it isn't coming up in ALL your pots, all over the ground and the street and the neighbours and.....

Here it is the latest $%&##@! weed du jour!

Carol

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Nah, hard for much to be invasive in this drought though. It did go from a tiny plant in a two inch pot to spead about 3 feet wide in one season, though. I kinda like it and was gonna pot some up for the greenhouse---but NC is not at all tropical, so l guess you could sell it as an annual groundcover to cooler zones on the mainland. :)

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

HAHAHA. Very funny. We do have a dreadful invasive weed here - Miconia - which is hard to find in places and it isn't invasive. So a smart guy started growing them (against the law) and sending them to FL @ 60$ each.

NAH, I just want to get rid of the Pilea...too much damage is done by it.

Carol

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Heehee, you don't actually think if I could find a market for kudzu and pokeweed that I'd profit from it.....

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Carol, what damage does it do? I hadn't noticed anything, but maybe I'm not looking in the right areas...the only problem I noticed was a small Christmas Cactus had some AW in the pot. The catcus died, but I assumed it was from excessive rain water....could it have been the AW?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Well...it gets into EVERYthing...so you can't have a pot of X...you have a pot of X and the pilea...and soon the pilea takes over. I was growing a flat of Vriesia seeds and had to pull them out early because they were being cholked out by the Pilea. I am not anal about my plantings...but I don't like something else taking over that really isn't pretty. We may well have to consider it a beautiful plant, however...if we can't get rid of it!!!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Sometimes that is the only way ☺!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.