composting hair

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm a poodle groomer and just thought (after 20 years) about the possibility of composting all that hair left on the floor. Is this a good compostable material?

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

sure, why not? I don't know if it is a green or a brown, however.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Every time I shave the puppies down, that's where the fur goes - I think you'd consider it to be a brown....

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

yep. pet hair goes in my compost pile.

Oh, and DH's, too!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

The birds love it for their nests, too. I put horse and dog hair either in the compost pile or in a holder for the birds to access.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

I try to brush my dog for 5 minutes every morning to keep hair out of the house. The birds know this and as soon as I go in, they pick up every bit of hair that has come off of the dog. I don't bother sweeping it up anymore, they do it for me. Since hubby is bald, I guess hair won't ever make it to my compost.

>grin< @ Cathy4...

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I did read once about fantastic lilies outside a haircut place, they had used clippings in the flower bed. I just can't bring myself to ask for a bag of clippings when I get a haircut. I would feel like Howard Hughes or something- neurotic! I do throw my kids hair in the flowers after clipping at home.

Temperanceville, VA(Zone 7a)

I have it on good authority that hair is brown regardless of what color it is) and breaks down easily!

The first time I had heard about it was a woman who cut hair. She would gather it up at the end of every day, take it home and wash it out (she didn't want to put any dyes or perm solution in her pile) and then compost it.

Now *that's* dedication!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Haha, PC, you're a brunette now. How do you feel?

washing a mess of hair clippings would really gross me out.............

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

I thought the same thing, ewwww

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL ... how does that work? Cheesecloth lining a collander? *gag*

Still ... it's worth it ... for the Tweeties, right?

Greensboro, AL

My rabbit is shedding from all the heat, so everything he produces now has wabbit hair in it. It all goes in the compost pile.

hey w- do you clip your horse? there ya go!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I used to, but not so much these days as we're not as competitive (now that we're getting old).

When he sheds bucketfuls of hair in the Spring, and when I pull his mane, I always bring the hair home and fill up the bird thingie or toss it in the compost. The birds usually get it, regardless of where I put it though.

Btw, the "bird thingie" is this spiral feeder which was filled with sheep's wool when I bought it in England last time I was there; kinda groovy: http://ecotopia.co.uk/british-wool-spiral.ir?cName=gardens-wildlife-all-products

This message was edited Sep 8, 2007 12:31 AM

Cute! and only 4.50 pounds! ;^)
nice link of 'Eco' stuff

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally, shouldn't you be busy baking and potting up plants and washing your hair?

Made the brownies night before. Yes I may have ripped a last minute plant or two out of the ground to take. Hair? welllllll, decided it could pass for the day! Good thing, cuz it was blazing hot out there this afternoon. Sweat and hats don't help my hairstyle..

Ah, the missed Round-up. Hope you had fun, did you save us any brownies?

Lemme see - 4lb-fifty = about 9 bucks? Not bad, huh? Cheaper than the recycled toilet paper....hmmmm

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Such a smarty pantz, PC - doing all that math. I don't think I paid that much for the wool thingy, but I really like it.

Sally, what sort of loot did you score yesterday? [still sulking]

LOL - yeah, I doubled it ... all that math. My brain will smoke for days, now.... well, maybe not if I'm a brunette, now!

let's see........took all of Gitas little northern sea oats babies, and bunches of Stella D'Oros, got a succulent 'pig's ear' from Chantell, took three Mona Lavender from miatablu and made a nice pot of them today, couple kinds of plectranthus cuttings from critter, also bunch of streptocarpella cuttings,(tiny fat furry leavess on trailing stems) and five diff scented geraniumcuttings from c also,.....psst don't tell anybody but chantell snuck me a plumeria cutting,....

I think you should get my next black runner ee babies....

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

NICE. It looked like so much fun. ...and I got the sense that it may have gone a wee bit past 6pm?

I'll trade you an EE baby for a load a horse ship. >grin< ... or whatever else I can interest you in.

Gosh, we realized it was 7 and got hustling, but were held up with last minute cuttings LOLOL I kept my eyes off the rear view in case critter was running after us -----
always interested in horse 'chip' the Hot off the Press really gets those fall leaves going. This Runner is making sideshoots like crazy. Would you want to have one as a small winter plant? I think I'll start some as small plants and may let the main plant go dormant. Of course, I'm counting on finding time to put up a new shelf and pole in my laundry room for these plants. Will maybe happen the day after first frost.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

heh heh ... uh, how bout if we play it by Ear?

If I could drive I'd say, yes, and I'd throw a lode a chip in the car and run it over to you ... but it could be weeks before the doctor clears me to get behind the wheel again. Poor Peter Pony. I need to have DH drive me over to visit him; I haven't seen him in a week and a half. UGH.

you must be getting tired of hobbling, poor thing. If I didn't have so much running around going on lately I'd come get ya myself.

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

Continuing more on the original question - is hair green or brown?

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Brown

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.