Short Scapes?

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

I've tried doing a search on the forums to find past posts, but none of the ones I saw tell me why this occurs. I have a 'Blossom Peacock'(I think that's the one!) that has a very short scape and is about to bloom. Why is the scape so short? It looks funny...

Thanks,
GH

It happens. My experience is that it occurs more often with bulbs that have not been planted for a long period and the blooms are overly mature. I also find that adequate water seems to help since the stalks are mostly water.

What's the blooming history and growing condition of the bulb?

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

I got it from B&B's at their sale last Winter and it bloomed shortly thereafter. It's been in a Western Exposure, outside, since early Spring. I'm sure I've been haphazard with the watering and the plant has gone for days without water. The leaves are really tall and they look healthy, but, alas, my conditions were not right for producing a normal scape. LOL

Well, the good news is that if you treat it well now it should be fine in the next season.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Grow, I've had a number of first-time amaryllises whose blooms were stunted the first year, but the second yr and thereafter they do just fine. I expect they will behave well for you from now on. I don't know the reasons why they do this and the ones explained above seem logical and plausible. Since they do well in subsequent seasons I no longer worry about it and just refer to it as less scientific/technical "first bloom blahs". Also have the"fbb" with some daylilies, glads, hibiscus, then they normalize.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.