Polygonums (Kiss-Me-Over-The-Garden-Gate)

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Hey, do any of you guys know about polygonums? They grow wild on my property and in town. On my property they're usually in the shade and grow about a foot high. Every year I bring some up into the garden where, in full sun, they reach 3 - 4 feet. Now this year, as you can see in the pic, I have a rogue "albino" one! I've never heard of white ones, and a Google search didn't help either. I'm saving the seeds from this one!

Thumbnail by PrimroseSue
Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

My bible, "Perennials for American Gardens" by Clausen and Eckstrom, says there is a white form of Mountain Fleece, P. amplexicaule 'Album'. Height 2-5 ft with pointed, ovate 5-7" leaves. Often listed as P. oxyphyllum, which has red spikes. P. bistora 'Superbum' is listed as a showy pink cultivar. These varieties are noninvasive, but there are several other polygonums which are dangerous thugs.

If you have a new one, will you name it P. PrimroseSue? Catchy!

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Oh that is exciting to have a white one. It grows wild around here also, let us know if you get more from the seed and if it spreads rapidly or not.

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

That is a really pretty plant. It is familiar looking to me, so I'll have to be more observant of the plants growing wild in my area.

Thanks for showing that, Sue.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.