horsefly bites

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Hello!
I am a confirmed lurker here. I used to have hunter/jumpers 30 years ago, and am still horse crazy! I love this forum!

I need some help.

I was bitten several times by a horsefly or horseflies Saturday afternoon. I have 5 huge welts on my shoulder blades...maybe the size from a nickle to a dime now... they were larger and have gone down some.

I have searched online for help but not found much directly about horsefly bites in people.

I have tried prescription strength hydrocortisone I had on hand from a rash a while back, benadryl topical gel, calamine, and so far, nothing has helped. I can stop the itching with ice, but only as long as someone holds the ice on. As soon as the skin warms up, the itch is back. Oh, we also tried 10% bleach and water to swab it with.

I remember when I was about 14, and riding a neighbor's pony for them and a horsefly was biting his neck. He took off like a banshee on fire, bucking etc. I was hanging on, and also trying to kill the thing. I remember hitting it with my fist several times, and it kept stinging him. Now I know why he acted that way!! It HURT REALLY BAD... but the itch is unlike any other itch I have ever had --- it is horrid.

I hate to call the Dr. office about a bug bite. But I am nearly nuts from this!! It has been 3 days and it's not letting up.

Knowing all of you are more likely to have actual experiance with getting bitten, thought you might have some ideas for me.

Thanks.... and love the forum.

Jules

This thread has 14 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!