Pooch's Autumn Offerings

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Taratahi Sunrise opened fully. This is really a pretty golden orange color.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Skywalker opened to reveal a nice velvety red bloom with sort of a frilly look, though not laciniated. Mine isn't that tall! I planned on 8 ft and of course it's barely 5. Isn't that the way it goes?

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Skywalker-forgot the photo.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Carol's red pom: I think this is a miniball or even a ball and might even be Cornel, Carol! It is chock full of petals in the same or very similar color. I'm still comparing to the real Cornel. It's nice!

Photo at night because something nibbled the petals on my daylight photo.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

"Not Stolze Von Berlin" a.k.a. "SVBW" the first bloom on Labor Day! Last year I had cut no less than 50 flowers off this monster by this time. It's going back to that location next year, with hopes for a warmer summer.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Another biggie coming along: this one is Wyn's Garden Glow- deep lavender with yellow. The buds are bigger than some of the flowers I grow LOL

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Salsa Picante opens up to a nearly round, full flower about 4-5 inches across and deep.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

If you leave Sea Oro alone for a couple days, it gets really fluffy. Check out the stems. This is one of my 8 footers.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

A better photo of demure little Chanel Tatiana- 3 inches across max with lots of flowers in the palest lavender/white.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Miss Rose Fletcher

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Golden Egg is open. Rich eggyolk- gold in little waterlilies all over the place! This one got chewed.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

The Pale pink Karma Prospero. Great stems, so sturdy I didn't even tie it until yesterday.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Beautiful, Annie! Love to see those blooms.

Have you seen Carol around here lately? I think that new job keeps her busier than she thought it would.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Better Downham Royal. If I had to lose Chimacum Troy, I'm glad to have this as a surrogate. Excellent little deep purple miniball.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Coast range of, OR(Zone 8b)

Nice blooms Poochella.

That Salsa Picante looks delicious!

(c:

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

12 hour work days every day are keeping Carol really busy. She checked on a couple weeks ago and posted her new pooch, Button! So cute. Between the job, the puppy, the family, and her vast gardens I'm sure she's beyond busy. Come back Carol!

Puppy, what puppy??? Geez....I need to get over there and see the puppy!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Thanks got2B, Salsa Picante is right up there with contenders for my personal 2007 New Favorites vote. The colors are fabulous.

This is not new but perhaps my overall, longtime favorite cutflower because of color and cuteness: Cherrio- a small between 4-6 inches across.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=3865975

Check out Button. I'd go steal him, if I were you LOL.

LOL, Annie, I just sent you a dmail asking where she posted it. I'll go check the link now. Thanks!

Oh my goodness! Yes, I think I need to go steal him! What a cutie!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

LOL you guys are a riot!
I check in and read and see the great blooms you all have!

Yes, Annie said it all for me. Those 12 hrs days are killers.
I was told last week at my 4 month review that I am going from salary to hourly to try to motivate me to work more! As if 60 hrs/week isn't enough!
They want me to work Sat. too besides do more physical work.
So..................................I am going to try to find another job and it won't be easy. I just can't do it. I want a life too.

My gardens have suffered a bit this summer tho my dahlias have bloomed nicely. I don't get to deadhead as much as I usually do so............am not sure if they will last as long this fall!

And yes, I want to enjoy Button!!!
Don't you dare steal my Button, Mendy, LOL LOL
Do stop by and see him! The kids would love him!

Annie, as for your 'Skywalker', mine are quite short this year. I am not sure if it is the weird weather we had all spring/summer or what. They haven't even put out the amt. of blooms as usual but that could be my fault. I didn't get to fertilize their usual mid-season shot.
I have a bunch of new dahlias this year but haven't taken any pics yet. I have to dig out their labels and am too lazy to do that, LOL Have some from Annie, Granny, and Al.

I have enjoyed your pics of the dahlias, Annie. You have got some real nice ones this year!

Attached is an update pic of Button. Is so hard to get good pics of someone that just keeps moving and moving, LOL

Thumbnail by daisyruffles
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Carol's back! Welcome! Those hours are just atrocious and they want you to work more? Time flies to quickly the way it is, but to spend so much of your week working would just stink. I say rebel against the employer! Just say "no."

That pup is too cute in his little cozy bed. I just adore the black fur radiating out from his nose! Good name: Button.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Annie.
I am heading up to my mom's in Bell. tomorrow morning. I really wished I had time to stop by. I should have left today to see you now that I think of it! I will try to talk my mom into coming down to Bellevue Square (she wants more of the Blue Willies jeans so...................maybe). Will let you know.
As for work, yeah, I wished I could say no. We shall see. The season is winding down so I hope when I get back, we will back to normal hours.

Buckeye, AZ(Zone 9a)

Poochella,

I am so envious of your dahlia's such beauties and so many wonderful varieties, I love them all and really enjoy your pictures....dreaming of more beds for more dahlias...lol aren't we all!

Taratahi Sunrise, Sea Oro, Wyn's Garden Glow, Salsa Picante, and Miss Rose Fletcher, just went on my list of needs....

Thanks for adding to my needs...lol, Carla

Orangeville, ON(Zone 5a)

ok poochella
you may have told this story a million times
but I need to know
what kind of property do you have that you can grow this many gorgeous dahlias?
and, next question, do you grow them for your own enjoyment? or is it your business?
would love to know
Judy

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Has to be my favorite batch of photos you've posted yet Pooch. I do like the WL's, but I'm trying to get bigger ones = 4-5".
That is a near perfect Tarahiti Sunrise there. My Sea Oro is just about 6' and Skywalker around 5' - lot of flowers, but they don't last long.
SVBW is a week away yet.

HI Carol! I think all that grass must be getting to you.LOL

Aptos, CA

Ah...they all take my breath away...amazing blooms

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Carol, come on down! I can be here any day but Sunday, I think. Bring the puppy!

Carla, thanks. That's the trouble: paring down the wish list. I shouldn't even look at or think of trying a new variety, but I already have 3 picked out from the Swan Island thread LOL.

Judy we are on 4 acres of hateful sloping rocky clay on the side of a mountain surrounded by towering evergreens. My sun is limited to select spots. Only a fool would try to garden here. That's me! Every square foot of ground needs to be pick axed, chiseled, de-rocked, the old soil screened, and new soil and compost brought in. That would be me again. The last rototiller I hired said "Please don't ever call me again" presumably because of the rocks and level of work even his machine had to do to get through our 'soil.' It could have been my breath though LOL. I have the one new bed to go and then that's it: no more labor intensive ground-prep ever again. It's all I can do to keep up with what I have planted at this point.

I go to my real job just to rest. I sell the dahlias to florists. I enjoy growing them and getting rid of them- gasp! For years I spent my days off making bouquets for various fundraisers, friends, professional thank yous yada yada, but I got real sick of the time factor and don't even enjoy making bouquets. I just like growing dahlias, so this works out very well.

Al, I can't believe the change between last year's SVBW and this, in both WA and WI: slower than molasses. Is yours in about the same sun as last year?

Suhira, thanks. There are only a couple stinkers I won't grow again from this year: FATIMA the little wimpy stemmed wonder ( great hot pink, lousy stems) and one labelled Purple Gem but I'm not convinced it's the right tuber. Again, weak stems and not too pleasing color/variegation.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Hi gang,

Finally got a new computer so things are improving for my Dave's Garden visits. I was ready to scream and kill the old computer.
That first bloom is stunning,Annie. I am impressed with all your photos, Golden Egg doesn't look too chewed at all. Stolze wanabe came in quite handy and lovely for my niece's wedding. Thanks again and Carol Ted's Choice was awesome for the wedding too. And our other favorite was Lauren Michelle. I will check in here again.
:) Joann

Hooks, TX

Pooch,
I'm so glad that you have this love of growing dahlias. It's a treat to know that a new post from you is just a click away and reveals yet another beauty! Don't ever quit,

Louise

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Pooch - SVBW is on the far right side of my front bed here. It gets good sun until later fall.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

---->|// Hi Lenjo! That's my hand waving. Man am I ever enjoying your dahlias and while watering the Lenjo Row about two weeks ago thought I ought to inquire about that wedding, but since forgot completely. Anytime anything lavender and white opened I thought of you! Perhaps you got the only well-behaved Stolze Wannabe this year. Mine just bloomed now. Let us know how the wedding went, especially the flower part.

Al you have the skinniest, tidiest, espalliered dahlias I've ever seen! How do you get flowers off those? Where are all the slimy, soggy 5 foot long ties and the bushels of foliage? I bet that little red beacon to the left is Nescio! Check out the photo from last night: I was leaning in tying or cutting or both and spotted this radiant red ahead through the forest... Nescio dead ahead and Taratahi Ruby off to the distant right.

Thumbnail by Poochella
West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wow! What a great bunch! I saw Salsa Picante and Rose Fletcher, and started drooling on the keyboard. Well, not really, but just perfect form!

Your Wyn's Garden Glow sent me to Google, where I found Wyn's list of dahlias. Alas, no pictures, I have to track down one of Wyn's Magnifica, Dester Glow, etc.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Pooch - I have a feeling if you were to come here it would be a sort of city mouse/ country mouse adventure.LOL I like Tarahiti Ruby - not overly prolific so far. The red one on the left is Night Queen '07. That bed has underachieved a bit, my favorite in there has been Jabberbox - which is funny because it's so small.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I would be blown away by your perfect lawn and manicured beds for sure, Al.

Wyn's Garden Glow fell in our heavy rain the other day- just the one stem. I can't get the rich purple color, but it's a wonderful full flower with center petals glowing yellow. A ID LB Lav and yellow, but it's a very deep lavender/medium purple here.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Kiss Camano Thunder goodbye. I'm not growing this stubborn little monster again. It is such a vivid bright purple too but I have only got about 4 flowers off of it in the last two seasons. Grannymarsh had 50 blooms estimated. I'm leaving it in the ground to rot in 4 ft of rain, or freeze. And if it doesn't get cold enough this winter, I'll put 6 big bags of ice on top of it to help it along out of its misery. Boo.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

CG Coral is getting to be a late season wonder. Started out short stemmed and slow, but is really 'blossoming' LOL in September. Nice rich coral color and lots of 4 inch flowers.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Send C. Thunder on back, k?
It is VERY interesting how the same plant will vary from year-to -year and location to location.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

You're going to deny me the pleasure of freezing it? LOL I will get a tuber or two and then replant the sucker so I can still freeze or drown it! That's the ticket.

The first year I grew Camano Thunder it was one of my favorites: the brightest purple little cactus and it's been downhill since then, no matter where I plant it. You can have it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.