Some Adenium Flowers

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Some of my adeniums are finally starting to bloom well. Here are two -- a seedling and 'Noble Concubine.'

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Nice, very nice, Clara_CA!

8)
Larry

Victoria, BC(Zone 8a)

They're SOOOOO pretty. I can't wait till mine bloom.

Thanks, Larry and Teresa!

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Very nice. Noble Concubine is one of my favorites.

Lisa, your pics of it are gorgeous!

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

Oh I do so love adeniums.
Very nice Clare ;)

Me too, Michael! Thanks!

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Clare, how old can a seedling start blooming? My seedlings are at least 2 years old but never get any bloom. Those are some very beautiful ones!

Thanks, Baileykat. Gosh, I didn't keep very good track of when I sowed the seeds, and some I bought as young ones from Snowbelt Adeniums, but I want to say that some bloomed in the second year, some in the third year, and some haven't bloomed yet at all.

This message was edited Sep 6, 2007 11:49 AM

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

2 or 3 years is an acceptable time to expect a bloom.

Yardley, PA

The NC seems to be a real blooming machine. Mine has gone all summer.

Lucky you
Mine has bloomed nicely but not evenly.
1/2 of the plant stayed asleep lol!
Last year she gave me a few blooms
This year many and 3 seed pods to boot!!
Arrogant also gave me 2 seed pods!!
Im growing every single seed

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks Clare and Malestrom for answering my question.
Those are some photogenic plants in the second picture, Clare!
I'm very looking forward for the blooms on my seedlings.

Yardley, PA

What do you do with all of the seeds and plants? I end up with lots of seeds that I don't want.

I will grow everyone of them to a nice caudex.
Then ill wait to see if it blooms pretty or variegated.
If not then ill graft a known variety or several into it.
I now have many of that kind by grafting and also will have many multi trees.
I keep developing the caudexes by turning and angling them when I repot so they reach up into a curve and or twist as well.
This is like a 5yr project.
I suppose out of all the seedlings a select few will be keepers like maybe around 100 or so
The rest turn into gifts and ebay sales ;)

Thanks, Baileykat. Those are my seedlings. I found a photo from when I first sowed a bunch of seedlings. It was in late September, 2004. I got my first seedlings from Phil in early 2004 and my first blooms on those seedlings a year later. I think they were six months to a year old when I first got them. Some of the seedlings have not bloomed yet however, and they are soon to be 4 years old.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Victoria, BC(Zone 8a)

Oh my gosh! Those babies look adorable! I'm glad that I have some seeds coming too.

Clare,
Make them believe they are going to die.
Put them in small tight containers and full sun, no water. ;)
They should respond in turn to survive and flower that year.

Victoria, BC(Zone 8a)

This year is the first I've heard of "tough love" for plants and it seems to be a very good suggestion. Three people in my area who I gave brug cuttings to, went on holidays without watering etc and their brugs are fowering and doing great, while I'm still waiting for several of mine to produce flowers!

Go figure!

Thanks, Michael. Will do. I've had them in filtered light on the patio so will put the non-flowering ones in full sun.

Filtered light is a bloom nono for adeniums ;)
FULL SUN MAMMA PLEASE!!!

Michael, mine have always done really well on the patio in filtered sun light, but only about half are blooming so I'll move them. I got the filtered sun info. from here: http://www.tropicanursery.com/adenium/cultivation.htm#enviroment They spray their plastic with lime that slowly washes away. It does say 4-5 hours of direct sun is needed to flower well. I'll move them today.

I believe they are in Taiwan?
We cant compare our sun or heat to thiers.
But hey whatever works is what to do. ;)

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I did have to move my Milky Way Adenium. It have very heavy variegation and was getting a little burned. the other variegated ones, including Ra Ji Nee are doing great in full sun.

Here is my little brood. I just moved the ones that aren't blooming to full sun;-)

Lisa, I keep my variegated plumerias in filtered sun too because the leaves get burned too.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Yardley, PA

Clare, Your collection is beautiful. Do they grow and bloom in the winter in S.Cal or do they rest? I always keep all of mine in full sun. When I bring them out in the spring, they always drop all of their leaves and start again.

Hi Sally, mine will bloom in March only if I keep them in the greenhouse all winter. Last winter, they stayed outside on my semi-covered patio, and they dropped their leaves and went dormant and didn't bloom until just recently. I'm surprised that I didn't have more rot. It got down to 28 one night here, which was a record low temp. It also reached 32 a few times. I am sure that the patio cover offered some protection.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

So pretty.

Thanks, Lisa. That is the year that they got to live in my greenhouse for the winter.

Clare the low temps they will tolerate is in the 20s
Moisture is the issue
I have lost them to winter rot in my basement! :(
And you know its rather tropical there in the winter ^^

Michael, I've had my fair share of rot, which usually occurs in the spring. It's weird belly rot, where the roots are healthy and the tops are healthy, but the rot is in the belly. I've usually been able to re-root the top part in each case.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Clare, one of mine had the same kind of rot as yours just this past spring when we had the dreaded freeze spell. I managed to scrape the rotted part and repot it again. So far it's still alive, no blooms, of course. Two of the other bigger plants rotted beyond saving although I put them inside the pop up greenhouse. Luckely the 2 year old seedlings were inside the house, so even if they don't bloom now, I'm just glad they're still alive. Your seedlings are gorgeous!

Victoria, BC(Zone 8a)

What a bunch of cutie pies!

Thanks, Baileykat. I usually check to see if I can salvage the body and scrape too, but most of the time, it is too far gone for that, but I can usually get at least a cutting from the top. I couldn't get anything from my 'Harry Potter' however. It rotted this spring all the way from top to bottom. This was a tough winter for most of us that are used to mild ones.

Thanks, Teresa;-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.