Twilight Companion plants?

Caldwell, NJ

I am going to plant some echinacea "Twilight" on my front yard in a very prominent spot. I want it to look good through the fall. Currently there is just some Russian Sage there. I don't need "blooms" throughout the season, but I want the bed to look good through out the season. Any suggestions? I'll post the photos when it blooms. Just buds now.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Pictures, please ASAP (LOL)

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I have it, but it's by a bunch of other coneflowers. Probably something whitish would be best.

Caldwell, NJ

I was thinking of the white variety of phlox called David. Not sure if the deer will have it as dessert.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Perhaps something low too like a perennial geranium, Roxanne for example.

Saco, ME

You are not going to believe this, but this is the first year I tried the following. I love coneflowers and I have a few Twighlight on the small side still but blooming nonetheless. I have them paired with believe it or not Swiss chard (in my perenniel border). Not just any swiss chard but the deep ruby chard. The veins and stems are a wonderful hot pink/burgundy and the leaves are quite green and lush. It looks wonderful with the color of the coneflower Twighlight. I saw a flower bed in Camden, Maine outside a restaurant that did this and I was instantly hooked. I also plant the golden chard (deep gold/orange stems, green leaves) next to my Rudbekia Indian Summer. What a combo!

Caldwell, NJ

Swiss Chard -- great idea! I wonder if the deer would eat it?

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Gold foliage might make it pop more. Agastache 'Golden Jubilee' is nice, though it self-seeds freely. You'd have to dead head diligently to prevent this. Smells great - like licorice and the deer leave it alone. Of course there are other gold foliage candidates as well.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

monarch,
Generally, deer won't eat strong smelling herbs. There aren't too many flowers they won't eat but they haven't messed with my coneflowers or blackeyed Susans. I have some shasta daisys right next to some blackeyed Susans and they ate every one of the shastas but left the blackeyes alone. Don't know about Swiss chard but they love a wide variety of other greens. Lot's of deer camps mix greens in their food plots.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Musicmonkey2,

I would love to see a picture of your flower bed. That sounds very interesting, and creative.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.