What is the difference between composts and manure?

(Zone 4a)

Canadian Tire sells Cattle Manure, Sheep Manure Shrimp compost , mushroom compost etc... Can anyone shed some light on the difference uses of this stuff?

(Zone 4a)

Sorry I guess I should have mentioned my gardens need more dirt etc..... I saw that the cow manure was on sale right now and just wondering what the differences are between all these things???

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

In general, manure is fresh poop - generally too high in nitrogen to be used directly in the garden in large quantities. It would 'burn' plants. Compost is organic matter that has been aged enough where micro-organisms have done their thing and broken down the raw stuff into a mix that has nice consistency, great drainage, low NPK numbers and lots of micro-nutrients. You add it to the garden directly. You should 'compost' your 'manure'.

(Zone 4a)

Hmmm ok so you are saying use as much compost as I would like and avoid the poop! LOL

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Just let the poop age. Like fine wine.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I'd check the label to see if it says "composted" manure. Otherwise, as Victor said, it will burn plants. We avoid all fresh cow/chicken manure even for our compost bins.

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Beware of that stinking fresh offal,
It burns up your plants something awful.
But compost it well,
'twill get rid of the smell,
And produce soil amendments quite lawful.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Don, love it!(the poem not the poop)(Well, unless it's composted)

Deering, NH(Zone 4b)

You can compost manure but you can't manure compost - sorry, just couldn't resist.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Somewhere along the way people started thinking of compost as an alternative to garbage/trash/refuse, etc. You only get out of it what you put in it. Put in items that should have been sent to the dump and you won't have anything your plants want. Nothing diseased, no thorns or prickles, no black spot, no iris borers, etc. but people I've known just toss anything and then expect miracles. It doesn't happen that way.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.