Preen - good or bad for lawns and beds

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

We know it shouldn't be used around reseeding plants but what are your experiences with the product?
In mulch, etc.
kathy

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Hi--I hope someone answers this, because I would like to know, too!

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm surprised no one has.

Kathy

Bartlett, IL(Zone 5a)

I have used preen for many years in my beds, it works well for holding back the weeds. I think it is some sort of corn meal gluten , like what comes in organic weed control feed and weed. anyway I have never had any adverse effects from it, just don't use it around any planted seeds or they won't emerge.
HTH,
Jill

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

I do see that the Preen brand has an organic version that is based on corn gluten meal, but the product generally associated with the "Preen" label uses the active ingredient trifluralin and it is not an organic product. I really don't know a lot about Preen and I cannot say that I have ever used it myself. An internet search will turn up information on trifluralin. Here is one hit: http://www.epa.gov/epaoswer/hazwaste/minimize/factshts/triflur.pdf

You can also get the Preen label here: http://www.lebsea.com/newlebsea/pdfs/L-PRN63670.PDF

Personally I would skip the synthetic chemicals and use corn gluten meal (though CGM can be hard to find and/or expensive), but Preen does seem to be one of the safer synthetic products.

- Brent

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Hey, Brent, I'm trying to get away from the expensive name brand CGM. Have you found a local place where you can get it at a discount? (say yes)

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

BTW, the Preen label says in bold print "This product is not intended for use on lawns"

Nope, I have not found a generic source of CGM in my area. I see the stuff specifically branded for weed control at a number of stores (including Lowes).

- Brent

Bartlett, IL(Zone 5a)

A product called safe lawn is CGM as far as I can tell, I ordered a 50 lb bag fom a farm in conneticut. If you do an internet search for safe lawn..they can let you know retailers or mail order in you vicinity. the distibutor is here in IL.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

They sell it at the local Farmers Co-op, here in the boonies...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.