Do bromeliads allow mosquitos to breed?

Vieques, PR

The water that bromeliads catch obviously helps them survive the dry spells in Vieques, PR, which has a semi-arid desert climate, and the desirable (to me) coqui (tree toads) often climb right in for an extended dip. But eliminating all mosquito breeding anywhere near our patio is a priority (=obsession), and I fear even the 3-4 oz of water may be part of the current problem. Is it, and if so, any ways to deal with it?

Thanks for any ideas.

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Hey JP, isn't it funny how folks in your area love the coqui's with a passion, and we are so frightened of them here? I would have imagined that the coqui's are in the bromeliads to get a good diner of mossies...

I have heard of people putting in small pieces of mosquito dunks in their Bromelais cups with no ill effects to the plant. As I haven't tried this myself, I would hesitate to dispense advise... perhaps you could try this with you least favorite brommie and see if it works?

Please let us know if you try it and it works!

I understand PR is a beautiful island, with many contrasts in topography and climate. I imagine you live on the lee side? I have never visited, but would love to. One of my friends was born and brought up there and she talks about her home up in the mountains...

Vieques, PR

Funny, I was thinking about doing just that, but thought it might qualify as a howler to you experts. Bromeliads are tough little guys. So, progress through chemistry and death to the mozzies.

The co-KEEs may not like it either, for they surely must enjoy the wigglers. But they have lots of other habitat.

This message was edited Sep 2, 2007 3:53 PM

This message was edited Sep 2, 2007 3:53 PM

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

JP - it usually takes two days for mosquito larvae to set up shop in little bits of water. If you are spaying/changing/moving that water around, anytime withing the 2 day framework, there shouldn't be a mozzie problem. (Dealing with the exact same obsession here!) :-)

Laie, HI

I have always wondered if a bit of garlic or real hot chili pepper in each cup of the bromeliard would help keep the mosquitos away. I know people who have ripped out the bromeliads near their house because of the mosquito problem. Aloha

Vieques, PR

Did some reading on the anti-mosquito tablets --they're not chlorine tabs, as I had thought, but actually concentrated spore cakes, of Baccilus Thuriengesis (BT). The spores that dissolve off the tabs actually grow into the bacteria, which somehow appeal to the larvae as food, but utterly disable them once in their gut. So, the tabs don't harm anything else and probably won't scare off those desirable, onomatopoetic amphibians we call coquis. Can't wait to try it out.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Let us know the results....but in a little more "common man" lingo, por favor? Those scientific and latin names rolled off of your fingertips waaay too easily....latin major? or of a scientific bent? coquis is soooo much easier to say than onomatopoetic amphibian!

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the info JP, they sound great to me.

Isn't BT used for other pest problems too? I seem to remember reading about it years ago but had no idea that it was the "ingredient" in the mossie dunks.

Going to run to the hardware store tomorrow and buy some...I hate mosquitos, although I seem to have developed quite a tolerance to them - they only itch for a few minutes now and I don't have to cover myself in lotion anymore!

We don't get too many of the little devils because we are so dry, but within a day or two of rain they appear. Trouble is that although we are careful about standing water you can't do anything about the way the neighbors live...

Vieques, PR

Sari, shari --onomatopeotic just means something named for how it sounds and coquis make a co-KEE sound, hence their name.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

(I know). I was just joshing ya, because your post sounded so botanically and scientific correct - even with the play of words. Sometimes we get downright slangish here in TG...but only because we all know that we all know the "right" way to say things. It was unfair of me to start teasing so soon upon your arrival, so I apologize...but I really do like coquis.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

BT - yes...(I can't spell it)...used for other things but BTI 'B.T. israelensis is harmless to anyone but mosquito larvae. I but it by the half gallon (I kid you not) and about every two weeks I try to remember to sprinkles them in the brommies (if you put them in the top...the rain will take care of spreading it down into the lower bracts....as long as the bacteria has larvae to 'eat' it will work. I also put them in two water catchments we have AND our home use water catchment. I laso put it in the dogs' water bucket!!! In an 18,000 gal catchment I put maybe 10 pellets...in the brommies maybe 3-4. I put it anywhere there is standing water....

It works.

Carol

Chickenville, FL(Zone 9a)

I use the BT granules as well. They are tiny pellets made by Bayer (comes in a blue plastic bottle). I put a few in the brom's cup with the water. I also use them in the birdbath and water saucers under pots.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.