Seeds of s. clevelandii and s. scabra.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

I have quite a bit of s. scabra seed right now and am currently harvesting seed of s. clevelandii. They are not appropriate for all areas. I did read in the files that someone has clevelandii growing in Seattle...surprise. S. clevelandii is a California native. S. scabra is of South African origin and quoting Betsy will withstand temps as low as the 20's for short periods. If anyone would like seed for an sasbe, plmk.
Sherry
edited to add that I'm sending out the last requests for seed now (Sept 8, '07) and offer is then closed.

This message was edited Sep 8, 2007 7:14 PM

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

i would please,please let me know where to send thxs

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Moretz...do you think they will work for you there? I'm in the exchange and since the seed are small, I think I can probably protect them well enough in a regular envelope, don't bother with a bubble envie...I have bubble wrap.
Sherry

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

They'll both most likely be annuals in zone 7, they're only supposed to be hardy to zone 9.

S. clevelandii also doesn't like a whole lot of summer water, but from what I've read it'll still grow and bloom if it gets more water, it'll just be short lived. But since it won't make it through the winter anyway, I guess it may not matter if the extra water shortens its life!

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Yes....the scabra may be treated as an annual,but I don't think you'd have time for the clevelandii to develop size and bloom. You're certainly welcome to the seed and to try though.

Candor, NC

Salvia scabra can act like an annual for me in Star, NC, not far from Hickory, and it self-sows in my greenhouse. It is a coastal species, so unlike a lot of its xeric South African cousins, it is relatively humidity tolerant. I suspect it has possibilities of becoming invasive on the warmer coastal areas of the USA.

Clevelandii can grow well in NC if it is planted in a raised sand or sandy loam bed. It will flower if overwintered. Thin out basal leaves to let air in and prevent fungal attacks and insect refugia, especially in sustained rainy and damp weather. Desert plants benefit in their native habitats from this buildup by reducing evaporatiion and keeping their roots cool.

Frisco, TX(Zone 8a)

I have three Clevlandiii that were planted this spring. We had an unbelievable summer with almost constant rain and they are all still alive. can't say they have grown much, but at least they haven't died.They aren't around other plants so air circulation should be good for them. We'll see what thhis winter looks like. I watch them closely for fungus and keep my fingers crossed....

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

that is fine if they are annuals i can save seeds from them right? and grow them every year,most things that i like are annuals here anyway lol plmk and thxs,so i will send a regular size enve? thxs again

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

For S. clevelandii it sounds like you'll have to overwinter it somewhere if you want to see flowers--it won't go from seed to bloom in one year.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Absolutely, moretz. How do we know what will work unless we try, right? Hopefully I will have other seeds more suited to your climate, but one never knows. It is much, much hotter this week than we hardly ever get and I'm afraid I'm going to be losing plants.

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

that is ok np here i have a basement i can put it in, i would love any salvias anyone would want to share/trade with me,my hummers love it and i dont do feeders anymore because i cant keep the ants out of them and then something might come up to where i cant change them like i need to so i just quite doing the feeders all together and am trying to get more plants that they like,thxs i will send it out tomorrow if that is ok with you? plmk and thxs so much for sharing

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Yes, send the envelope. I will let you know also when I have other seeds available, moretz.
Sherry

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

Sherry
great thxs again and cant wait to see what else you may have thxs again, will send out tomorrow

Townsville, Australia(Zone 10a)

I agree that you wont know until you try, my salvia clevelandii is coming along nicely and the foliage smell is to die for. Heavenly!!!

Frisco, TX(Zone 8a)

I love the scent of Clevelandii. My husband just shrugs and says it smells kind of herbally to him.I especially love it just after a rain when the air is still...

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

I've always loved it, but it does get a little overpowering when you're sifting through for seeds for quite awhile. Salvia overload!

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

mine went out today thxs for sharing

Richmond Hill, GA

Sherry, Am I to late? I have just started my obsession with Salvias and would love some seeds. Please let me know. I can send sase tomorrow.
Arlene

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

cattjovi...I still have some seeds. You do know that scabra will be an anuual for you and GA is rather far from clevelandii's homeland here in CA. I have no idea how it will do there. You've read the above advice from Rich?
Send an sase and they'll be on their way to you.
Sherry

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

I'm sending out the last several requests for seeds and am then out of extra seed.
Sherry

Richmond Hill, GA

Sherry, Sent sase today.
Arlene

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

cattjovi, Okey -Dokey...
Sherry

Jacumba, CA(Zone 8b)

wcgypsy do you have a picture of s cabra, I am not fimiliar with it. I grow clevlandii but would like to know what the seed looks like. The flowers are dry on mine but I don't see any seeds. thank you

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Plant Files has a couple pics
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/92020/

Jacumba, CA(Zone 8b)

Thank you for the help, ecrane! I really like it, do you still have seeds Sherry? I hate to seem stupid, but what does plmk mean?!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I think Sherry said a few days ago that she was out of seeds (see her 1st post on 9/8)

plmk is please let me know.

Jacumba, CA(Zone 8b)

Thank you again, encrane!

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks much, Liz.
Karri-sue, you have d-mail....
Sherry

This message was edited Sep 11, 2007 10:52 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.