Wisteria help

Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

I have a wisteria vine that has been pruned to be a tree. As I was trimming the leaves I knicked the branch what should/can I do to keep the tree from dying????

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

How badly was it cut? If you just nicked it chances are it'll be fine, just leave it alone.

Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

nicked. cut through the bark. I hope it is fine.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It should be fine, assuming the plant was healthy to begin with it doesn't sound like a big deal at all. You might keep an eye on it for the next few weeks to make sure that some insects don't move in, but it sounds very minor so I really wouldn't worry.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

you could perhaps cut 1/3 of theway through it without concern.. so a knick should be no problem for it.. keeping it pruned as a standad will be more of a challenge.. how long has it been growing that way for you..
Gordon

Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

I planted it the spring. It was purchased from a nursery. I was told to keep it severly pruned to promote flowers in the spring. It is very healthy growing like crazy.

Japanese beetles seemed to love it this summer. I was out there a couple of times a day on JB patrol!! Gotta get my milky spore down this fall to combat those buggers. I have declared war against them.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

They bloom on old wood, so if you severely prune it too late in the year you'll wind up with no blooms. Just after they bloom is the right time to prune. Unfortunately since they're such vigorous growers, you'll have a hard time not pruning later in the year and keeping it looking nice, but if you do prune it later in the year then you'll lose some (or all of) the flowers. So it's sort of a no-win situation!

Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

When I say prune I mean leaves. No branches just leaves. I hope I get blooms! I will be very disappointed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.