Possible Mandevilla Infestation Help?

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

K, so here's the deal. I bought this huge Mandevilla from my local HD a few months ago. Looked simply beautiful. I planted it in a back corner and after a while, noticed that all of the lower leaves were dropping off. Then I read on here that they will do that if they're roots are too wet, and I also later found out this area is where all of the water from our street runs to drain so it stays wet. So last night I created a spot to move it to and did so.

However, while doing this, I was able to get much closer to the plant than I was regularly while it was in the prior flowerbed and I noticed lots of black spotting on the leaves. I also noticed what appeared to be large white aphids (yes, we halso had an ant problem in that bed that we seemed to never be able to eradicate - sp?). So I whipped up some Neem and drenched the plant 20 minutes ago, all sides. Will this work? Is my plant a gonner? I'm attaching a lot of pics, please help, I'm a newbie. Thanks!!

This is a closeup of one of the leaves to show the brown/black spots.

Thumbnail by AmandaTaylor7
Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

Some funky white itty bitty spots gathered together - they were kind of suspended a tad from the leaf. ?? No clue what this is.

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

A closeup of my nightmarish visitors and the spots / yellowing

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

A view of most all of the vine. The new green growth at the bottom is from a Red Velvet Mandevilla that I planted to try to cover up the lower leafless limbs of the larger one.

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

This is the top part of the vine. It won't be here much longer if I don't get rid of these things. Please help!!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Mealy bugs. Blast them with the garden hose. One part alcohol to ten parts water is supposed to be good to spray them but my plants looks pitiful after spraying with it. I'm fighting them too. Ther mealy bugs are even on the weeds here. This had been the worst year I've ever had with them.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

http://extension.unh.edu/FHGEC/docs/Mealybug.htm

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew ... well do you think the Neem will kill them? And how long will it take for me to tell?

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Don't spray them with Neem oil during sunny hot days. Good luck.

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooops .... it was noon on a cloudy but hot day when I did it. Didn't wash it off. Is this bad?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.