New Hybrid purple streaks ? What do you think of it?

Louisville, KY

Here is a new hybrid I have been growing now for about a year. The plant is very similar to a species I was breeding with years ago. I am sure I had breed a more recent hybrid with the species to come up with this one. The leaves looking similar to the species but with darker purple streaking through out the leaves specially on the newer leaves and the leaves on the top protion of the plant. The flowers are a bright pink color and fairly small much like a species form. It grows to around 6 feet tall. I know many people demand a lot out of their cannas if it is to make it to the multitudes. But with being so picky at times I think a lot of interesting and fairly unusual things get over looked. It may not be the best but it keeps me looking at it.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

closer look at some of the leaves.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Oh, it's nice all right, even if it does look a bit sloppy. That last leaf before the buds is amazing.

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Actually I like the sloppy coloring....halfway between an Australia and a Musa Zebrina! Nice!
Post a pic of the bloom once it opens....

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Oh, I was referring to the leaf itself, not the coloring, love the coloring of course lol

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

So in a nutshell....we both like Brian's creation! :D

Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

I also agree. It has enough character to warrant a longer evaluation. I like the darker stripes. - Arlan

Orlando, FL

Well I know what I like..and I like this..tho I no nothing about sloppy or not. If you ever get to a point to share...let me know. Nosey question ...how did you learn to make a hybrid?
Thanks for sharing your pretties.

Robyn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.