Questions about Joe Pye Weed 'Little Joe'

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I was thinking of getting this for a re-vamped sloped garden bed that would be next to a bed full of pink mixed coneflowers. My question is, some sources say do not let it dry out (PF) while others say drought tolerant moderate to dry conditions (GC). Which is it? If you have grown this cultivar do you like it, how tall and wide really?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Hey - I don't have a plant you're looking at.LOL I have 'Chocolate' - I know that one likes it wetter and the native eupatorium grows in wetalnds.

Finger Lakes, NY(Zone 6a)

I have had the old Joe Pye Weed, not Little Joe (been thinking about getting it though) for several years. It is in a sunny garden that gets hot afternoon sun and it has done great for years; in fact I had to divide it two years ago because it had gotten so large. This year was tough. It was hot and dry even for our area and Joe is looking rather sad. He sits so far under my eaves he obviously needed more water, but all my gardens were crying for more. I think he will recover for next year.

I would have to agree with Al and say wetter would be better. They are native to wetlands here and grow like weeds next to many of our wetlands, marshes and wildlife refuges. I guess that is why it is Joe Pye "WEED." People laughed when I planted it, but always ask what it is in the Fall when it is in bloom, standing tall and looking beautiful. I like the tall variety because it can be seen over 200 feet away, all the back in my yard.

If you do plant Little Joe, let us know how it does for you and what conditions you offered it.

If it does not cost too much, it is worth a try. I think they are great looking plants that need little to no care when you find the right location...or for me, even the wrong location.

Good Luck
Rose

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

ngam, I have had it for years in my pool area. It is VERY drought tolerant once established. I never water it at all. It does fine and in fact, keeps spreading. Mine gets tall - six to seven feet. What I do is cut it back in early June to keep the height down and delay the bloom a bit. Left at full height, it can flop a bit.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Then both things are correct, once established it can take a little dry conditions but even moisture would be best. If it is too happy it might take over the bed entirely so maybe a little less wet is a good thing. Not like the dry conditions we are having now. Even the trees are looking very sad. More watering tomorrow. :( So on my list of things to order it goes, thanks for the input and I will let you know how things work out.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Well I would say that mine have not received even moisture. They have received whatever Mama Nature provided. It's too far for the hose to reach and the area really bakes in PM sun. With that, it has still spread a lot. Next year I will start thinning it out - probably will move some to another area.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.