Results of seed collected from Echinacea "Sunset?"

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Hello,

I have a few seeds collected from my Echinacea "Sunset" (which died unfortunately) and was curious if the seedlings would be anything like their mom. Since "Sunset" is a hybrid, I know it is possible that they may not favor her at all. Has anyone grown out seeds from this cultivar and, if so, what were your results?

Thanks much,
Danita

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I am doubting that they would be true, but you could still try them. Results of seedings from newer plants is slow to come in because they wouldn't flower their first year seeded anyway.

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

I think I'll try them anyway. Even if they look like a plain purpurea I will still like them and who knows there could be an exciting new color. :)

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

I've heard that they will not be true to seed and you'll likely get a purple coneflower instead of the orange sunset.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I tried them from seed...they bloomed pink

P

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the info.
They pretty much stopped making Sunset and have Sundown instead now.

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Bigred,

Did they look like regular purpurea or were they different in any way?
Prettier, uglier, or the same?

Thanks,
Danita

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

not all seedlings resulting from seeds of this cultivar bloomed last year but the ones that did where large flowers of un-impressive shades of pink......but the juries not in yet as I will have to wait for this year's blooms. Don't want to chunk them out just yet.

P

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

okay I have a question (hope its not dumb) If seeds you gather dont (as a rule) bloom true to the plant you gather them from why bother??? or am I missing some thing ?? I want to try some but I'm not sure
Gloria

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Gloria,
While I personally don't grow plants from seeds (I prefer the quicker results of buying established plants), I would think part of the fun of growing from seeds is the mystery of discovery. While hybrid seeds may not bloom true, you never know what you may get. Who knows, there's always the possibility that you may get a color, shape, or size that you end up liking better than the hybrid you got the seeds from. Experimenting is just plain fun. But if you're looking for an exact replica, don't bother planting seeds from a hybrid. You'll have to take a cutting or buy a labeled plant.
Sharon

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

thank you for your response I want to buy seeds but I want to be resonably sure that I get what I'm sending for and I'm slightly confused OH heck I'm realy confused LOL
Gloria

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Gloria,

Oh, I think I know why you are confused. You're talking about buying packaged seeds, which is different than taking seeds from hybrid flowers that you are growing in your garden. While I'm sure there are a lot of people who are more knowledgeable on this subject than I am, let me try and explain.

When you buy packaged seeds, you are getting seeds that will come true. In the case of coneflowers, your most common regular variety is Echinacea purpurea. You can buy seeds of this variety, or take seeds right from its flowers and your new flowers will be the same as the parent plant. So if you buy packaged seeds from the store, what you see on the package is what you'll get.

But in the case of hybrids, like the new varieties mentioned in this thread, they were created by mixing different varieties to come up with something totally new. The seeds will not come true, so packaged seeds aren't available for many hybrids. Hybrid seeds must go through many trials (tests) done by plant breeders before it is assured that the seeds come true in order to make them available for sale. You can always take seeds right from the flowers, but you don't know what you're going to get.

Think of it this way. If you breed a poodle with a poodle you'll get more poodles. But if you breed a poodle with a Labrador retriever, you'll get something totally new, that is, a hybrid, or a "Labradoodle". If you breed this hybrid Labradoodle with another Labradoodle, you won't necessarily get dogs that are all alike. Some of the pups may look more like poodles, while others may look like Labradors. There aren't enough generations of Labradoodles to guarantee that they will breed true.

I hope this clears up some of your confusion. Let me know if I hit the nail on the head, or if you still have more questions.

Sharon

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

shebs, your Labradoodle example was a great analogy.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm anixously awaiting a co-op this year to get Echinacea 'Prairie Splendor'. According to Walters Gardens, it is the 1st E. to bloom 100% the 1st year from seeds. To me, that's noteworthy for a hybrid. Can anyone vouch for that comment on 'Prairie Splendor'?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Cannot vouch, very interesting claim though.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks, PeeperKeeper.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I liked the Labradoodel thing I think I got it now and I have decided tha t I want just about all of them LOL thank you
Gloria

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Glad to be of help, Gloria.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Shebs, I liked your explanation too even tho I knew the answer.

Danita, I hope you post pictures here when you get results.

Bigred, I'd like to see your blooms.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Billy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.