Any seeds I can start now???

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Hello All,

Are there any veggies or flowers that I can still start from seed now?
I think there is still time for lettuce and maybe spinach but I've never done fall veggies before so advice is appreciated.
Do you think there is still enough time to plant seeds of some biennials or perennials and get enough growth to have at least some blooms next year?
I have some digitalis/foxglove that is starting to germinate. I don't know if they will get big enough to overwinter but I thought I would experiment anyway.

So, what seeds have you tried for fall planting?

Thanks much everyone!
Danita

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

I just put in a fall veggie garden this week after it cooled off some. I put in lettuce, spinach, beets, carrots, and radishes from seed. Also put out transplants of Cabbage, Broccoli and Cauliflower I started from seed in July.

Also going to put out Garlic and Strawberries in another month or so.

Can't help with the flowers any.

Jeff

Richmond, VA

Danita,

Now is a good time to till and plant a wildflower garden. Most seeds like cleome, and poppy, need a winter chill to enable them to germinate in spring. Walmart is still selling those big canisters of wildflower seeds, and I think the price has been slashed in half. You could pick them up now, and sow them in Sept, or wait and do it in early March.

I just sowed a few beds of turnip seeds. They will be ready in about 40 days. Turnip seed is cheap, and most Home Depot and Lowe's have the seed. So does Southern States, and most other feed stores. The greens are delicious, and so are the turnips.

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks guys! That really helps. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.