Corkscrew is Blooming!!

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

It began to open, a few days ago...

Thumbnail by melvatoo
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Boy, I'm no expert on the corkscrew, but those look for all the world like hyacinth bean vine buds.

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

Yeah - are you sure those are Corkscrew? Mine just started budding and looks nothing like that ... see http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/758688/ for more information.

To me, the leaves don't even look like the Vigna Caracalla (corkscrew). The shape is different.

This message was edited Aug 30, 2007 11:28 AM

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

I know, I know...I have come to the same conclusion...they were IDed here by...no, I won't mention names...it is pretty, but not a Corkscrew, Bummer!!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

ID'ing young seedlings can be difficult when so many from the same family look very similar. It's ultimately up to the owner of the seedling to decide if the ID is correct or not if for no other reason than that they have the plant and can see it more clearly than can someone thru a pic on the forum. Often a plant has to come into bloom before a correct ID can be made :o{

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

Sorry ... hopefully you're not too let down with the blooms! Post pics when they develop!

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

I am very disappointed...but it is still pretty!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I'd be waaay disappointed.

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Melva,
Here is what the buds should look like.

Thumbnail by budgielover

As they open

Thumbnail by budgielover

After buds open

Thumbnail by budgielover

Melva,
Did you start it from seed or get a plant?

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Seed, I must have planted about 25 seed and I don't think I have a single plant...all the ones I have, are the Hyacinth Bean...

Would you like a few seeds or a plant for postage?
Jan

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

That would be wonderful! Can we wait until spring?

Yep, Just remind me.

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Thank you!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Budgie, I'm just starting to see little buds on mine now... How long before blooms open, do you know? I'm hoping it'll bloom before frost, because the pot is too big to bring inside (I'm planning to dig the plants and cut them way back, then overwinter in smaller pots).

Thanks!

Lovely photos of the blooms, BTW!

Shouldn't be much longer. How developed are the buds?
Here is one of mine this am. I'm having to treat for aphids this year but they're only bothering the corkscrew vine.

Thumbnail by budgielover
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

The biggest buds are about like the ones in your photos that look like cashews... to the left of the ant. I had a V. caracalla a couple of years ago that started blooming just before I left town for 2 weeks... I got to sniff one bloom, and my neighbor enjoyed the rest of them!

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey, Budgie - mine is blooming but dropping the buds FAST!! What is this from?

How hot is it there. How much are you watering.

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

It's getting some daily watering each morning for about 15 minutes from an oscillating sprinkler. It's been in the high 90s, feels like 120+ with the humidity.

Be careful not to overwater. Mine do not like getting their feet too wet. We're in the 90's here daily and I only water them every few days but I water with a sprinkler for at least an hour each time.

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

Ok, budgielover - I think I've figured out the problem. I'm usually gone in the mornings when the sprinkler runs, but not this morning. And the sprinkler didn't run! It's time for new batteries. :) They are probably lacking water. See the wilting leaves in this pic?? (The plant in front is a Celia Hibiscus)

Thumbnail by AmandaTaylor7

Yep look like they need a drink but the blooms are coming along nicely.

(Cathy), MO

Those are gorgeous! Does anyone know if they are hardy in Zone 6?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

They're not, but you can bring them inside for the winter. I've had them die back entirely and then resprout, so I'm thinking I will dig mine up from their large half-barrel container and put them in smaller pots, then overwinter them semi-dormant in the basement and put them out after the weather warms up next spring.

Here's the PF link for V. caracalla: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1884/

(Cathy), MO

I don't guess you have any extra seeds?????

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Mine look like they might just barely bloom before frost, so I'm not real hopeful about getting seeds. If you purchase them, be aware that "corkscrew vine" and "snail vine" seem to be used interchangably for Vigna caracalla and Phaseolus caracalla (the Vigna is the fragant one), and there often seems to be confusion between the names. The seeds may go for as much as $1 each, and for best success you should nick and soak overnight, then germinate warm (80 degrees or thereabouts).

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

This is so true. However, I purchased mine from a really good seller on eBay. I don't remember her screen name, but her email is bonnied@flash.net. I bought 3 from her and they were EXCELLENT!!

Is that ok for me to post her email?

(Cathy), MO

Thanks!

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

No problem, I just hope she can help you! All of mine that I got from her were large in size, about 14-18 inches tall already so they just took off from there when I put them in the ground!

(Cathy), MO

So you bought the plants? Not seeds?

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

Correct, I bought the plants from her. Come to think of it, I believe 1 of them was about 2 feet tall. It wasn't very expensive, I think maybe $10-$15 for the plants, including shipping and handling? You could email her, and if you're wanting seeds just ask her if she has those.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.