Mushrooms popping up all over the yard,

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

What causes all the mushrooms that are growing all over my yard? My neighbors don't seem to have this problem. Is there something wrong with my soil? Can I put these mushrooms around my pinetrees for the squirrels to eat? I have so many that it will take a wheel barrel to collect them all.
Sorry if I'm on the wrong forum. I couldn't find another appropriate one.
Deborah

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I thought that if it's too wet or your watering in the evening and the weather is not warm enough to dry it out.. that will cause em.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Hummm well it has been raining a good bit. But my neighbors don't seem to be growing mushrooms like me. It looks like a hail storm hit my yard.

Vermilion, OH

deb,
are they growing underneath a particular type of tree.... or where a tree dies or was removed?????

ellen

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

No, Ellen, they are growing in full sun in the front yard, back yard and sides. I also have tons of earthworm mounds too. Course, now, I'm not complaining about the earthworms, They are a good thing.

Vermilion, OH

okay, they're in full sun now, but are roots of a "previous tree" in the area of where the mushrooms are growing now????

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

No trees have been in the area. We've been here 29 years and before us, it was a crop field.

Vermilion, OH

i'm no help then.
often mushrooms come up where trees have been removed, or are still living there.
there are always- what i think may be "chanterelles" (sp?) under the pin oaks around here. i think they "pair up" by type of tree with type of fungus/mushroom. they have some sort of symbiotic relationship..... blah, blah, blah

it's not my specialty, but someone else here certainly knows more on this???

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I was always told it wasn't a big deal, just the sign of good dirt. You could always pick 'em out and put them in your compost pile...

Vermilion, OH

yeah, but if they're morels, eat them or sell them. i think they go for over $40 per pound....

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Which blows my mind - I've had them before, sauteed with garlic and butter - and they tasted like garlic and butter. Nice, but...

If for some reason they are morels, be sure to shake them over a shady area after picking them - that's how they propagate, by spores.

Vermilion, OH

i guess the morels are said to be found under elms, dying, diseased or gone. i check the nearby elms, especially in early summer after a rain. at $40 per pound, i haven't had the opportunty to sample them; but i still have my 40 bucks.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Oh my gosh,I could be a millionaire if these are the same thing! I will rake them all up and put them in my compost pile. I sure hope they are a good sign.

Vermilion, OH

do i get a finder's fee????
i doubt they're morels, or you'd have asked what they were - cuz it doesn't look anything like a typical mushroom....

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

These are the white hand size sh'rooms. Wish I had some truffles growing. Now there's a good finder's fee.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

as long as they are white and not brown honey fungus

Norwood, LA(Zone 8a)

Aren't mushrooms good for the soil? Mushrooms are funguses, actually fungi.
I've read that mycorrhiza, or fungus root, are beneficial to the plants that live with them. Mycorrhiza in oak leaf litter are even needed by some woody plants to survive-- the fungus infects the roots of many plants and their hairy filaments spread out much well beyond the host plant to find nutrients and water to nourish them both. I know I'm not explaining this well, but the "mushroom people" in my plant group say that mushrooms will save the world.

Greensboro, AL

Some mushrooms grow where soil is anaerobic, they are a sign that the soil is not fit for plants. Not all.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

there is good and bad fungus. leaf spot, blackspot, verticulum wilt, etc etc. not good.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.