Heidi Chronicles: Enjoying the Antics of the Kids!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

This is the ongoing story of Heidi and friends, raccoons that frequent my backyard "diner". A few months ago Heidi had her 07 kits, and after what seemed an endless wait, they have finally begun to join their mom at the backyard raccoon buffet - where we have a small pool, a makeshift "sandbox", and lots of well-played-with toys to keep those kids entertained while Mom eats - sort of a raccoon version of Chuckie Cheese.

You are cordially invited to join us as we spend time with Heidi and the others and get to know her new babies. If you haven't done so yet you really should consider going back to the last 2 threads to view the baby pics.

The prior thread in the series: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/761408/
(A similar post at the top of the prior thread will direct you to the one before that which contains the 1st group of baby pics.)
The original thread that started it all: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/603944

The photo below shows one of the kits in his "car".

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring
Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

DEFINITELY true about not really seeing wildlife if you life in the wild yourself. I recently moved from a Chicago suburb to an acre on the Kankakee River. Just outside a large town but fairly spacious lots. Haven't seen a deer on my property in 2 years.

Back at the old place, my previous neighbors have ever single plant under chicken wire to protect them from the voracious deer, which are probably suffering because of an extended drought.

This all reminds me that, about 3 years ago, when I was still living up there, alone, mind you, in a massive 2-story house, no dog ... I tended to leave my sunroom doors open so the cats could come & go plus I hate closed windows & doors. It was about 2 a.m. & I was sewing in my upstairs studio, lights blazing all over the place, and suddenly there was a ruckus in the kitchen (where the lights were on!). I marched down the stairs (once again showing that I never know enough to be scared) and found FIVE raccoons ransacking my kitchen! They had opened cupboards & dragged things out, on the counters, everywhere.

I eventually got them all out, then closed & locked the sliding doors onto the patio & could hear them yanking on the doors trying to get back in!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Last night I delivered the food, but did not stay.

Tonight, Heidi dropped by for a short while accompanied by 1 kit. My goodness, they are growing fast! It has been a few days since I last saw them and the contrast was clear. (For those who might be concerned when the number of kits present on a particular day is less than the original count, we saw this a lot last year. Fraidy didn't show up at all for quite a while, and the number of the others at dinner varied from night to night.)

Shortly after Heidi left, Juliet showed up with 2 of her babies. Hers are visibly smaller than any of the others which makes sense as she was last to deliver, being some 3 weeks or so behind Heidi - or so we believe. Tonight her kits were especially energetic and friendly such that I really enjoyed their visit. Perhaps when evaluating their behavior in a prior post I neglected to consider the difference in ages between the 2 groups, Juliet's and Heidi's.

Tonight Juliet was on her very best behavior. Although she still does not like to share her food, she actually left the 2 dishes, hers and Heidi's to her 2 kits while she came over toward me as if to "ask" for food - something Juliet just never does. I tossed her the remains of Fraidy's food, the latter having eaten earlier and left.

Juliet usually stays back at her dish and avoids me. As a result, her kids do so, too. Tonight since Juliet came over near me and ate from the lawn in front of me, the kits suddenly became more accepting of and curious about me. One kit kept venturing closer and closer until finally he got the nerve to come over and sniff my foot - deja vu. The little fella stayed at my foot for a few minutes sniffing my ankle, and then in a move that seemed to say "pew!", he turned and walked with a slightly quickened pace back to his mom. : )

Shortly, after that they left. Our time together was brief, but quite enjoyable. I found myself smiling on my trip back to the house.

Tonight I noticed that all of the raccoons from Heidi and her kit to Juliet and even Fraidy ate less than they normally do so I figure (1) there must be lots of good food in the forest right now and (2) the Moms are probably spending more time out teaching the kids to forage. Good news all the way around.

Edited: what can i say? typos.

This message was edited Aug 30, 2007 12:16 AM

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

LOL, summerkid!

That must have been quite an experience! I think the little bandits are so cute inside...if it's someone else's house. After watching them use their all too nimble "hands" to do all kinds of things, I have no doubt that opening doors would be no challenge for them.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

A few pics of Rupert. Note his kibble on the grass since Diva won't let him eat from her dish.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Rupert again.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Last one - for now.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

A group shot from a few nights ago. Juliet far left. Heidi and her kids far right and one of Heidi's pool right. Diva in the pool, center back with Rupert behind her. I think some of these shots show interesting group dynamics.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

closer view

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

My sympathy, summerkid; I know exactly what your kitchen looked like by the time you evicted your guests! Once went on an animal control call to a formerly lovely house where the resident couple returned from a 5-day absence to find one very large, very frightened raccoon trapped in the house. He'd apparently come/fallen down the chimney, and because of the metal chimney liner, could not climb back out. There were lots of scrapes and blood traces inside the fireplace and around the flue to show how desperately he'd tried to escape. The damage in the house was just unbelievable. All the molding around doors and windows chewed where he'd tried to find a way out. They once had a big tank of tropical fish; they now had a tank of wel-filtered bubbling water. Their large tropical plants were all disinterred, and the soil was everywhere. I could go on and on. And the kitchen: oh my. The fridge and all cabinets had been opened, contents well-explored, sampled, and scattered. The floor was a gluey mess of sugar, flour, orange juice, and lord knows what else; this extended on to all countertops, inside cabinets and fridge, etc. The raccoon was lucky that the people were as frightened as he was, because I know the husband would have loved to wring his furry neck. I'd love to have seen the insurance adjuster's face... It was one occasion when I felt equally sorry for the wild one and the humans.

Diva looks like she'd dearly love to charge Heidi's kid, but knows that would be a BIG mistake.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Ruth,

I was SO enjoying your description of the aftermath! I didn't want it to end, so I just hated it when I got to the "...I could go on but..." part. Today I read a portion of the book Murmur recommended "Thistle and Co". The main character is a rehabbed baby raccoon. There's a totally hilarious description of how he greets guests. I've never had such one on one experiences with raccoons, but just from my experience with the wild ones, I can only imagine...

As to Diva's reaction to Heidi's kids, notice how Heidi's kids look relatively confident. Not cocky, but confident. The one in the pool is at the edge, but he's also eating, so he can't be too fearful. And his sibling outside the pool looks as though he/she is watching a movie and eating popcorn. Heidi isn't "watching" per se, but you can tell from those ears that she is monitoring everything.

Oh I have no doubt whatsoever that Heidi monitors everyone and everything when her kids are in the yard. She's that quintessential mom who has eyes in the back of her head, and doesn't miss one thing. That evening when she did "calling drills" after two kids had ignored her said it all...

One of the details I skipped in the description of house-after-5-day-raccoon-confinement was the custom-upholstered furniture. All of the cushions, not to mention the bases, had been shredded much like your straw bales, as the raccoon tunneled to try to create a safe hiding place. It wasn't pretty. And the custom drapes: they looked more like those room dividers made of strings of beads. I really doubt that a hurricane could have done more damage.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

SummerKid.... i can tell you... i've passed that "fire station" in Lauderdale [while on vacation][ years back ... and those original 17 have multiplied. there had to have been 50+ !!

we were astonished!! we were actually sitting there due to the bridge being up... so we sat and waited... those raccoons were everywhere, and we were afraid they'd go under the car, etc.

heading north for along weekend.... probably wont post much til i get back on Tuesday.

hope the critters have a safe holiday too [ and all of you too ] ... as with noisy neighbors BBQing etc.

Terese

ps - love the image of the 'scoot'

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

I found this cute picture of a coon sharing a meal with a skunk, and thought everyone would enjoy it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Urban_raccoon_and_skunk.JPG

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I think Rupurt has stolen my heart..... what a cutie!

Great photo, Ky (though I take issue with the fool who labeled them vermin). Both skunk and coon look unsure about the whole thing, but the kibble is obviously too good to pass up!

I thought the same thing, spartacusaby!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi, Everyone!

Ruth -- Love your descriptions of the debris left in the wake of the raccoon. I'm sure the little guy didn't mean any harm. ; )

Terese -- Hope you and your family and friends have a great weekend. Glad you enjoyed the 'scoot' photo.

KyWoods -- Very cute pic. (I didn't notice the "vermin" remark until Ruth mentioned it. I, too, would have to take exception with that. Hmm, It's a wiki so THAT means we can change it. Hmm. Interesting idea...)

Nanny -- Rupert is a cutie, isn't he? He was one of the stars of tonight story...to come.

I'd like to wish everyone a safe and happy holiday weekend - which is NOT to say that Heidi and the others and I won't be here throughout. Now back to our story...

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I think we should change it. : )

I have no clue how to change the vermin designation, Cheryl; but if you do, go for it! More than just a bit offensive...

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I've been running a bit late the last few days. Sunset comes sooner now and I'm just not keeping pace - much, I'm sure, to Heidi's dismay.

Tonight the 1st shape to appear on the fence - a little ways down from where I sit - was large, muscular, sleek, and appeared in the moonlight to have the form and color of a cougar, so much so that I almost found myself fighting back fear briefly as he posed there atop the fence looking so much like a smallish mountain lion ready to pounce. It was, of course, HRH; and I had to struggle to reassure myself of this.

HRH ultimately chose Juliet's dish up by the pool but perhaps to reassure himself that he would not accidentally run into Heidi and the kids there, he arrived by circling all the way around the perimeter of the area behind me and back around to the dish which was only maybe 20ft from the spot where he had entered the yard to begin with.

A few minutes later Juliet arrived. As always, she rounded the corner with full intent to go directly to HER dish, but upon seeing HRH there, diverted her course at the last minute to take Heidi's dish instead. No sooner had she settled in for her evening meal than Diva and Rupert appeared on the fence scoping out the situation. I called to Diva hoping she and little Diva would come around beside me as they often do. I could easily toss food to them over there.

Unfortunately, Diva with Rupert in tow behind her chose instead to try to enter the pool located squarely between HRH and Juliet both of whom were eating. Instantly, Juliet ran around the pool and jumped on Diva. The 2 went tumbling, screaming, spitting, and snarling across the lawn beside the pool. The movement was so rapid and so intense as to remind me of the classic cartoon image of an amorphous, tumbling blob with arms and legs jutting out everywhere.

At some point Juliet was ejected from this tumbling mass of screaming, fighting fur and HRH was sucked up into it briefly...and then the whole thing was over and everyone was eating at their stations again, with the exception of Rupert who at the first hint of trouble had run back to the safety of the tree atop the fence. A second glance clarified the new layout in which while Juliet was still eating from the same dish as before the melee, Diva had somehow replaced HRH on the other side of the pool.

Sensing something to my right, I looked there to see HRH approaching in search of food to replace that which he'd given up to Diva - to keep the peace. I started tossing food to him and after a time HRH sat down there some 4ft beside me. Sitting there upright and with his full tummy exposed for all the world to see, the big guy assumed his rather adorable Winnie the Pooh pose as he sat picking up kibble from the grass between his outstretched back legs. Refills were no problem. All this tossing of food items has greatly improved my aim, allowing me to toss small handfuls of dog food nuggets to him repeatedly such that each landed precisely in the 'v' formed by his legs. With such a steady supply of kibble, he sat there eating for the duration of the evening.

Once things calmed down a bit, Rupert came back down to join his mother, who as usual quickly let him know that he was not welcome to eat from her dish, this despite the fact that she was eating from a container roughly 10"x6"x2" with adequate kibble and space for the 2. Being somewhat bored myself at this point, I took advantage of the opportunity to encourage the little fella to come out onto the open lawn area in front of the pool so that I might toss him food. He did, and I enjoyed feeding him a bit close there. He was so tiny and cute sitting there in the squirrel position on the lawn, a dog food nugget clutched between his paws, nibbling it.

From time to time, Rupert would become frightened by the proximity of Juliet and HRH nearby. At such times he would quickly scurry back to the safety of the weeds and perennials behind his mom only to emerge again a few minutes later to forage on the lawn again. A few times he tried again to stick his nose into the edge of his mom's dish, but each time was quickly rebuffed. And then, suddenly, on one occasion as the little fella was running past Diva on his way back to the safe zone of tall weeds just behind her, he must have had the misfortune to pass too close to her dish for as he rushed by [clearly headed past her and to safely], Diva turned snarling and spitting to pounce on him as one might have expected her to react to another adult coming so close to her while she was eating. Thankfully, that sad display of motherly "warmth" lasted only an instant.

When Diva finally tired of her food, she wandered away, allowing Rupert a chance to eat from the dish for a change. Having rarely been given the opportunity to eat from such a container [he usually eats from the ground], his early attempts were a bit humorous. The dish was larger than he was. As I've mentioned, the raccoons tend to start on the side closest to them and eat there way across the dish; consequently, the food Diva had left him was on the far side of the dish from where he was standing. Rather than just go around to the other side, he tried to step into the dish. The result was the classic Three Stooges stepping on a rake routine, as the dish flipped up into a vertical attitude bopping him in the head and spilling kibble at his feet. (Don't worry, it was a thin, plastic dish which could not have hurt him.)

Soon everyone had had their fill. The party began to break up as the diners departed. I did not see Heidi or her kids, not did Juliet bring any of hers this evening.

LOL Poor Rupert! Bad mommy! Love the way you described his ordeal with his dish--you do have a way with words, Cheryl!

Oh swell, a cat fight among the ladies. Have to say, those two kind of deserve each other, since they both have hair-trigger tempers. Just wish they'd spare Rupert and HRH their bad tempers...

Love the image of Rupert smacking himself with the dish. I'm sure he'll do much better next time, if Mommie Dearest Diva gives him a chance.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Ok, try it now. I changed it in the caption under the picture. Hopefully, that's the only place it occurs. LMK if you see another instance. Now it is always possible for someone else to change it back or to change it to something else as that is the nature of a wiki.

What do you think?

Much better, Cheryl: you rock!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Ruth,

About the same time that I realized Diva was the one I saw fighting with HRH that time, I also had the revelation that his injury may have been due to an unfortunate eating accident. I was struck with terror remembering the aluminum pie pan I had put out there briefly (the one from which Snowball ate the egg foo young). HRH had also eaten from it. I went out there and retrieved it. I ran my fingers around the edges every way possible, forward and backward, rubbing gently at 1st and then more briskly, trying to see if it was possible to "slice" my skin on any part of the edge. My skin must surely be much more delicate than his, and I was relieved to find that I could not find an area anywhere on the dish where I could even scratch myself. However, I tossed the thing in the garbage lest it should develop a torn edge at some point in the future.

Thankfully, it seems unlikely that the pie pan was the culprit, but I can't help but wonder, especially since HRH arrived here without suburban skills, if he might have found a can with raw edge and/or attached knife edge top (and something yummy inside). Seems like his injury could match a typical can edge. (I do not put any cans out there anywhere at all. All of my cans go to recycling. However, if he were brave enough to go out to the street on the eve of recycling day he could find lots of cans at the curb all up and down the street.)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Ruth!

Every now and then one is just bound to run across the occasional thing that's just right in their line of work...

Cheryl, while it's certainly possible that HRH cut his face on a sharp can edge or lid, it's honestly unlikely. You've seen how adeptly they handle everything they eat; and when it comes to cans, they'd be more likely to use their hands to scoop out the contents than to try to shove their face into the can. I think his face wound is a deep scratch or bite from another raccoon, and Dear Diva is a likely candidate since we know they mixed it up a while back.

Besides, HRH survived quite well to become the dominant male in your little corner of the world; he must have pretty good survival skills going for him. The fact that Trouble disappeared with no sign of fighting between them shows that he knows what he's doing.

BTW, loved the image of HRH as cougar coming over the fence in the moonlight; and with his coloring and muscle tone, I can just see it.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I too think Rupert is just adorable ... that image of him (I'll call him that just for the sake of his name)
that image on the last page of this thread where he is actually "smiling" ... ya just wanna reach out and cratch him behind the ears.... well, scoop'em up really and give him a big hug, cuz you know his mom never does. [though i know something like that isn't possible]

Hey -- i was thinking the other day... where's Karen?? I can't recall a post from her in a long time and i recall she was dealing with 'issues'. Is she OK? anyone heard from her in a while?

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Your pictures are just awesome as are your tales. Can we consider racoon tales as an addiction??

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

oh, you betcha!! i'm certainly addicted to the critters.

Cheryl, it still says "vermin" in the comments below "File History", on that wikipedia picture!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Ky -- the way i see it... it is the posters comment... and i dont think that can be edited.

Oooooh, right. Yeah, I see, it's just a history of what's been posted. Thanks!

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Hi everybody! I had to laugh at the lady who called abotu the fox story. I was born in the country but grew up in a suburb of Cleveland. Not to many animals there. My parent s woudl pile us kids into the old stationwagon and driv e two hour s out of the city to the country, find a cow and we would ohhh and ah ove r it for two hour s and head back home. The only plac e to se e any kidn of animals was usually the fair ground s once a year. That where I learne d you cannot milk a bull. That a situation I will never liv e down.

Anyhoo, when I move d ot Indiania I was out in the country, big country. I was a passenger in the backseat woith about 5 other friend s and they was bringing me hoem from work. All of a sudden I sorta screamed. Ther e was the biggest, fattest pig I had ever saw in my life on top of another pig. They had slamme d on the brake s thinking I was hurt or something, when they found out what had me goign crzy they laughe d ther e heads off. Beign a small country town it didn't take long for the other farmer s at the dienr I worke d to fidn out how green I was. I had made the remark that at least the animals could have done it in the barn. For almost a year they instea d hung a big odl grey blanket up so when I went by I wouldn't see the pigs at it and I stil get laughe d at about that one. Soem folks sure do have long memories. : )

Sorry haven't been able to chat for abit so on a roll tonight.

Anybody know off hand what the life expectancy of a racoon is? I get the feelign that it may not be a long one, so don't really think ther e woudl be to much problems with innerbreeding, but hey HRH make s cute kids and good kids , so let him do his thing. : )

Ya know Scutler, til ya get that million dollar best seller wrote, you might just take some bit and piece s and part s of yoru saga and do maybe soem small scientific papers of observation and submit them and maybe even do a coupel of small article s for some magazines. Don't knwo what they payign now a days , but it might cover the cost of all the kibble s and bits ya tossign around.

I wonder if they all migrate to some place warmer? I know during the late spring and summer all my squirre populations disappear and I don't see them again til like just a fe w weeks ago, when the hickory nuts are ready and then they stay here til early spring and mov e on.

Starlight, that pig story is just too funny. We've gone through a bit of that on these threads, when folks were terribly alarmed by what sounded like apocalypse right now in the forest: raccoon love is noisy!

Raccoons in captivity have been known to live for 10 - 20 years. In the wild, the average lifespan is usually much shorter because of hunting, cars, dogs, poison, etc., etc., not to mention rabies and other diseases like canine distemper and parvo that they can pick up from domestic pets. The guys at Scutler's Diner have a much better chance than most at a long, healthy life thanks to the excellent diet and safe environment she provides.

Coons can get parvo? I never knew that! I learn all kinds of valuable non-gardening info here on DG, too. Glad you mentioned it, spartacusaby!

Yes, they definitely can get parvo, and also canine distemper. Both are deadly to the raccoon population, since the vaccines that are very effective at preventing them are, of course, not given to wildlife.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.