crazy husband story and compost

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

My husband is a freak about identity theft since someone got one of our charge card numbers. He took my big canning kettle, drilled holes in it all around, sat it on two bricks and started burning our mail. Yes, I could have killed him for ruining my kettle, but luckily it was cheap to replace. I've convinced him that he can shred the mail and we will put it in our first compost heap, actually lasagna bed. I'm planning to get that kettle back for flowers, and keep a picture of him huddled around the canning kettle for when I need to put him away, lol.

Any other crazy husband stories?

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

None as amusing!!!

Crozet, VA

Cute story. I love using shredded paper in my compost pile. I recently stopped getting the newspaper delivered, so the amount of paper is much lower than it once was. I will have to see how my second batch of compost works without as much paper. Might be worth it to at least buy the large Sunday addition. Now, that is an idea.

You folks have a great weekend.

Ruby

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

My husband has taken to saving certain papers in a bucket to burn for the fireplace.
How dare he take your kettle like that??? Men!
So, I go to pull out my nice 8 inch chef knife one day and----what's this? the last inch is broken off the tip. DH had seen the squirrel on the deck hogging the birdseed so he threw the knife out the window at the squirrel. And then just ''forgot'' to tell me about it? I think I have another incident like that but can't remember right now........

Greensboro, AL

Only 3? You're probably o.k.

Love the knife story sally, laughed out loud. I found DH out scraping the BBQ grill last week with a fork. No, not an old fork, but a fork from the first matching set I've ever owned in 30 years of marriage. He has a really nice set of tools he received from work, but my fork works better.

Now, if you took one of the really nice tools and left it in the garden weeding......................

Gilbert, AZ

My Dad doesn't like to spend money when he can figure out a way to avoid it. He, too, was concerned about identity theft and wanted to shred documents. He found that the lawn mower with the mulch blade attached did a fine job. Piled a stack of papers on the grass, ran back and forth over them. Repiled the shredded stack and kept going until all that was left was bits of paper. Raked the shred into a bag and the job was done. I told him I would buy him a shredder since it would make his shredding so much easier, but he told me he wouldn't use it.

OH Crista, that is so funny. I hope my husband doesn't see this! The neighbors already think he's crazy because he runs when he mows the lawn. Thanks for sharing!

Crozet, VA

Cathy, I would love to see a video of hubby mowing lawn. ha-ha How cute!!!

Ruby

cathy's hubby is probably in much better shape than a lot though!!

For 52, he is pretty studly, haha. He wonders why his lawn mower wheels fall off, and the handles crack. And we won't even discuss what he is like with a weed whacker!

grinning, cathy

grinning too!
my studly ha ha one is 53, they sounds like they could have fun together. He doesn't run with the mower but they always seem to have accidents that disable the annoying safety devices, and then we have various bungee cord arrangements on them

So last week I said-- Let's cut the bottom off a 5 gal bucket, sink it in the ground, out of the way, then dump the puppy poo in there awhile, like a little puppy septic/ compost/ something. So I cut the bucket . He sunk it. In the bed of 'my' groundcover. Right where I plan to move my peonies this fall. Not in 'his' grass LOL Joke's on him, I'll get a good underground boost of compost for my peonies and I will dig the next bucket hole-- in his grass of course.
The poo bucket seems to be working out nicely. No smell, lid keeps flies off.

OMG, don't say bungee cord around DH! Or duct tape!

I've read about doggy poo pails, and heard if you add a pinch of septic tank booster, the poo goes away even faster, so you don't ever have to make a 2nd bucket unless you have lots of dogs. DH picks it up with a shovel, double bags it (one plastic, one paper?????) and hides it in the garbage can.

I think your husband and mine may be related. I shouldn't complain, he just made toasted cheese sandwiches for our lunch and he will do the dishes, too.

Cathy

My neighbor joked abouit duct tape and diapering the kids- at least I think he was joking...
I was planning to use the one bucket hole awhile, then cover the droppings wit h dirt and move to a new hole. As soon as I feel like moving my peonies.
Double bagging? We sure don't want to offend the garbage man! "we" always have our trash in ONE tied bag, inside the can. No loose trash allowed. 'Must be considerate of the hardworking garbage guys. ' (Not to prevent loose trash having to be picked up later.)
hmm. I 'm getting hungry too. wonder what culinary delight awaits....ha ha ha

Norwood, LA(Zone 8a)

My sister's friend's husband got tired of those darn crape myrtle flowers falling onto his neat driveway, so he took his leaf blower and blew them all off the tree--actually leaves and little twigs came off with the blooms. She came home to bald sticks. For some reason, she didn't think it was funny.

It's a man thing. Like the guys who tell their wives, "Don't put anything in the yard I'll have to cut around." I've known some people who've cut down trees because they don't like getting off the lawnmower to pick up fallen branches, rake leaves, etc.

Virginia Scott Jenkins wrote a book, "The Lawn: A History of an American Obsession," about how men see the front yard as a thing they can control and master. I think it's a military look, like army posts with painted white rocks next to driveways.
When I drive in suburban neighborhoods I see men--women too-- on riding lawnmowers mowing tiny lawns that I could cut with a rotary push mower. It gives them something to do, I guess. My niece and her husband argue about who gets to cut the grass. They actually WANT to do it!
I've also heard about people putting Astroturf in their yard. It's only time before someone invents plastic shrubs and flowers to stick in the dirt. Hmm. I apologize if I've offended any neat gardeners. My family thinks I'm crazy for the way I garden with weeds (Mistflower, wild asters, Virginia Creeper, etc.). I better apologize to men, too. I know a few who preferred plants to lawns. I also better apologize to the Army.

Triscuits and peanut butter. I can't complain, at least he will feed himself.

I try to make more flower beds because they don't need mowing, but I'm not sure that I save any work that way. Or money, 25 dollars a yard for bulk mulch.
I am saying NO to riding for our 1/2 acre so far. Cheaper than the gym, and there's some incentive to actually DO it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.