Hope springs eternal, or always room for more Amaryllis

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Well its that time of year again, when hope abounds, for the winter show of all the new (to me) Amaryllis that I have ordered. The actual number ( I stopped counting at 60), have been kept a closely guarded secret from my DH. It doesn't look like quite so many bulbs, when the various orders forms are gathered up, but when the boxes start arriving, I will have some explaining to do. I will blame this forum, which got me interested in collecting. I am no longer content with the "Box Store varieties". Is everyone else as excited as I am, about the coming season?

I am VERY excited! Many of the crosses I made are into their third season and may well bloom this Fall or Winter. I made some wild crosses - cybisters with butterfly and other hybrids and vice versa. It was a drunken binge of hybridizing that had me pollinating everything but the cat! We mixed all races, creeds, national origins and wild unknown varieties!

WOW! Amaryllis...one of my true pleasures...

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

gordo: I bet the cat is glad that you didn't try to pollinate him or her.

Where do you order your bulbs from?

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Royal Colors, Amaryllis Bulb Company, Brent & Becky's Bulbs, Jacques Amand, John Scheepers, McClure & Zimmerman.

Same here. Add Telos.

Thanks, I just looked at Aarons nursery in Ga. Seems reasonable & very good selection. Know anything about them? Lorine

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Aarons is a "sister" company to Ty Ty Nursery in Ga. They sell the same bulbs. I had a bad experience with an Amaryllis order from Ty Ty, in terms of a misplaced order, and a mislabeled bulb. But other people are satisfied with them. I understand that Ty Ty's listing has been removed from the Garden Watchdog section of DG.

This message was edited Aug 31, 2007 11:09 AM

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

I have 10 already, I CAN'T get anymore...I just can't...I just......wait......maybe just ONE more..............

Only 10!!! oh my, I must have 70 or more & little seedlings have come up everywhere!!! don't know what I will do with all those little ones!

This message was edited Sep 1, 2007 10:06 PM

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Gordo, can't wait to see the blooms on your crosses!!! How exciting! I have fifty in their FIRST year, so it will be a while for mine...but it is so exciting to watch them maturing!

Me too.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Hey when you hybridizers have way too many lovelies, don't forget us little people!
I tried hybridizing (first time ever) but so far the seeds haven't germinated.
I never should stay up late because I just ordered 4 more to add to my 25 or so. I remember when I had 11- last year was it? Anyway, I'm moving into my luxuro barn apartment (renting my house cause we need the money) and have no concept of what will fit there. I do know it will be packed with plant collections (hoyas, epis, orchids, hipps, etc.). Hope there is room for us people!

So tonite I bought Rio Negro, Santa Fe, Night Star, and Trentino. Anyone have Trentino???

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

yes, here it is!

Thumbnail by JanetS
Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Oh, oh, oh! I think I'll be happy with that one! Thanks, Janet!

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Rene10,
If I had the room I'd have many more!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes it is a beauty for sure! I just love them all though...I can't seem to get enough of them...

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I'm so bummed! I'm moving back to England next week and can't take any plant material with me :( I'll have to start my amaryllis and sansevieria collections all over again..

But I'll always have my photos :)

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

;( sorry to hear that, I would be bummed too! Hope you can find good homes for your collections! When are you going? Would you like some seeds to take?

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Well Sue, with your move, the USA's lost is England's gain. Good luck with the new direction that your life is taking. But we expect to be kept up to date with your new Amaryllis on this forum.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.