Troubled Anthurium?

Boston, MA(Zone 6a)

I bought this plant for my cubicle from Wal-Mart. It looked great in the store, but shortly after I repotted it and brought it to work, it started to develop these weird spots on new leaves and old. I've tried to figure out what's going on, to no avail. I bought a spray a few years ago for disease and fungus, and that didn't produce any results. I've had the plant for about 5 years now, and it's looked about the same. I've also tried cutting off the affected leaves, but the remaining leaves just produced the spots anyhow.

I'm leaving my current job on Friday, and am trying to determine if I should put this alongside the other houseplants at home, or quarantine it, or just get rid of it!

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thumbnail by ignote
Boston, MA(Zone 6a)

another pic

Thumbnail by ignote
Boston, MA(Zone 6a)

And another... any ideas of what this might be?

Thumbnail by ignote
The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Have you ever repotted it? This looks very cultural in nature. I don't think you have to worry about your other houseplants.

Boston, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes, I repotted it when I first bought it. (It was in one of those cheap green pots, and I put it into a slightly bigger ceramic one.)

So, just changing the soil might help?

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes. Make sure the pot has a good drainage hole, too. You'll probably find the soil that it's in is probably a little on the waterlogged side down at the bottom, too. And now that it has grown five years in that pot, its roots have made their way down into it....and the leaves are showing the result of some rotting roots. Be sure to trim off any of those too. And if the pot was only "slightly bigger" than its original, it very probably is root bound, too. A bigger pot may be in order...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.