T-shirt rugs

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

A friend sent me this description of rugs she makes for heavy duty use: A great way to use up all your old t-shirts! White is fine, but colors are better. Be sure they are actually made of t-shirt material...either 100% cotton, or 50/50. Cut off the bottom hem and discard. Then, beginning at the bottom, cut a strip on a slight diagonal about 1/2 to 3/4 inch wide. Continue all the way around, up to the arm pits. Now, gently pull and stretch the strip. It will curl into a nice tube, and almost double in length. (It isn't necessary to cut the strip perfectly straight, or to worry about stains or slight fray. None of it will show.) Then roll up the 'yarn' and save. When you have plenty of rolls in different colors, or whatever you want, then you can decide on color pattern.I especially like to use shirts with stripes. It looks tweedy when crocheted into the rug. Using single crochet, you can make the rug any shape you would like it. I made mine oval. When you get to the end of each ball of yarn, just tie the next one on. I poke the ends through so they're on the under side. To make the knotted parts extra strong, and to be sure they don't come untied, put a couple of stitches in them using dental floss. That stuff is great! These rugs are great! You just throw them in the washing machine, and into the dryer!

Also, if you cut slightly narrower strips, you can make hot pads to protect tabletops.

This thread has 16 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!