Beginner Questions - Watching with Envy

Jefferson, GA(Zone 7b)

Okay, I have been popping in and out of this forum for almost 6 months now. I am so in awe of so many of your creations. I am trying to get up the courage to do some of this stuff and I have so many ideas. I want to make stones, spheres, garden decor, rocks, ponds...the works. (I really jump into stuff head first) Anyway, just wanted to ask a few questions.

Why hypertufa? Is it because it is lighter? Why use this as opposed to regular concrete? Or does which one you use depend on what you are making?

I see so many finials, spheres and things I love but the molds are so expensive. Most are $400 and up for some of the stuff I want. However, it seems to me, some of the molds are geared to commercial businesses. Isn't there a cheaper way to get say, something like the pineapple finial things for the everyday layperson?

When you want to make things like large boulders (the rounded, huge ones) I would guess you have to start with something underneath. Can you use styrofoam? I saw it in a pond post here? Would it really matter what you used underneath to start your creation if it is all covered in cement?

(please go slow, I am blonde and have never worked with cement before.)

This thread has 5 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!