White cottony stuff on adeniums?

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

What's the white cottony stuff at the base of the leaves of some of my adeniums? For the record, these have not been outside since coming to me, but have been kept in my very dry office under a CFI, on a heat mat in winter, watered as needed, given 20-20-20 plant food (half-strength) occasionally. The one really afflicted is A. somaliense from Snowbelt Adeniums. Thanks in advance.

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Edited to add: I put about a tsp of Bonide's anti-fungal insecticidal and mitacidal sulfur powder on all the adeniums about once per month.

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Sounds like mealy bugs, if so, try some isopropyl alcohol on a q-tip. It will kill them! Malestrom(Michael) is an expert on adeniums. Hope he checks in!
Hope this helps. http://davesgarden.com/guides/bf/go/129/

Larry

This message was edited Aug 27, 2007 10:18 AM

Yardley, PA

I use the big guns because I have too many plants plus I am mean. I use malathion or Isotox. I try to rinse them off first.

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Thanks, doing the Q-tip and alcohol now. Wouldn't Bonide's get rid of them though?

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Do not know! Guess, it would depends on what the label says, not familiar with the product.

Larry

This message was edited Aug 27, 2007 2:22 PM

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Bonide's says it is for mealy bugs, among other things. did the Q-tip and isopropanol thing though.

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Now, you will have to watch your plants carefully and see if anymore show up! This is not a one time treatment thing! Another thing, maybe, your office is a little too dry or little air circulation, just some thoughts. 8>)

Larry

This message was edited Aug 27, 2007 3:31 PM

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Yes to both but nothing I can do about either, we have rules about stuff.

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

A good stiff spray from the hose is good.
I mix 50% alcohol 50% water into my electric sprayer and blast them with that.
I do that as a foliar treatment when its severe.
I use the hose evry time I water more if needed
I also do 2 treatments with Bayleton each year.
Keep in mind Adeniums do not like to be pestered with sprays and chems
Leaf burn and leaf drop is to be expected to some degree.
If it is in bloom I do it by toothpick heh.

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Bit hard to use a hose in my office.

Yardley, PA

Malestrom - What type of an electric sprayer do you have? That sounds like a really good idea.

Its a small 1 quart battery operated one from Spray and Grow.
I love it for small applications.

bbinnj take the plant home or outside cmon its easy
Unless you like the way the mealies form herds kinda like cattle and quickly too.

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Malestrom: it's a huge one and I'm on the 8th floor of a large building. Even if I could take it outside, I'm on the campus of an academic med center. So what would I do then?
Being I have my own lab, I did take my spray bottle of ethanol to spray after the Q-tip isopropanol treatment. I think I'll spray every day for a while.

Sounds like a bit of a tough spot for hosing yup.
Be sure to water down the alcohol 50-50%
The alcohol will burn the plant if you dont.
Good luck and id love to see a picture of this 'huge' adenium.
Once you get rid of the fuzzy mealies spray with neem oil to keep them away. ;)

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

The alcohol is at 70%, it's what I use to disinfect the lab surface. Hmm, have to get neem oil. Still used the Bonide's systemic for these.

Whatever the alcohol is im saying do a 50%/ 50% mix with water volumewise. ;)
How does the bonides work for you?

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Well I use 70% volumewise (you can't really do percent mix any other way with liquids........ not easily)
Bonide's works well for fungus gnats and other annoyances; bought it bc can't use insecticidal soap on thse, would have thought can't use neem oil either.

50% from the alcohol bottle (regardless of its strength)
50% from your tap ;)

Im curious why you cant use neem or insecticidal soap?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.