Comptonia peregrina (sweetfern)

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

I purchased Comptonia peregrina(sweetfern) from Rarefind Nursery in Jackson, NJ, after seeing a nice natural planting of it there. Is anyone familiar with this plant? I have planted it in a dry, gravelly infertile area as suggested.

Thumbnail by sempervirens
Middleburgh, NY

I've grown sweet fern for a couple years now. I have it average garden soil in full sun and it seems happy there. It's about 2 1/2 feet tall now.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

I have planted it in a dry, gravelly infertile area as suggested.

That's exactly how they grow in the wild in the northern half of Minnesota.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Leftwood, for the confirmation of the correct growing conditions. It is good to know you've seen it growing in the wild in Minnesota. It is an interesting plant, somewhere between a fern and a small evergreen in appearance, with a distinct sweet scent.

herbalbetty,
Since you grow Comptonia (sweetfern) I'd be interested to known if it spreads in the garden in colonies as it does in the wild. What have you planted it with in the garden? I have it placed along side a gravel path but would like to integrate it into the garden with other natives if possible. I have seen a full well grown pot of it that was about twice as wide as mine.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

A friend of mine in Iowa has it in his garden. I was there again just last month, and funny, because that was my exact question: isn't it spreading for you? He's had it there about 8-10 years, and he said "No." As we continued to peruse his most fascinating collection, I did spy just a couple 4 inch sprouts coming up about 6 feet from Mom. So we looked a little harder and could find nothing more. Frankly, I am still baffled that it hasn't taken over. Maybe it's because the soil is too rich and moist.

Hanover Twp., PA(Zone 6a)

I've studied this plant. The more sun it has the better the soil, however it fixes nitrogen in the soil so it can live where other plants can't. It will slowly become a multi branched shrub, never higher that 3'. Rub the foliage it has a sweet fragrance. The Indians used the foliage in tea. I posted a picture to the plant files.

I bought three plants a few years ago. They are planted on the side of my driveway where it slopes and it is quite gravelly (sp?) there. I specifically chose them because I was sort of hoping they'd liven up that side of my driveway. They've not done much of anything for me but on the plus side, they haven't died. No spreading yet but I keep hoping.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.