Vines for fences (for zone 3-4, in Minnesota)

Hastings, MN

Greetings:

We live in Minnesota, about 20 miles outside St. Paul.
We have a six-foot high chain-link fence surrounding our entire back yard, and would like to plant (hardy!) vines to cover this fence.
Our back yard is currently very "public," so we are particularly interested in vines that will help create a leafy wall of PRIVACY.
Cost is a factor, since we will need to cover a very large expanse of fence. Therefore (if possible), we are also interested in learning about ways to inexpensively propogate (or, start from seed?) the vines that we plant.

Wild grape vines grow in abundance here in Minnesota. Would these be appropriate?
Do they create a dense wall of privacy?

What about Trumpet Vines, Wisteria, or other kinds of flowering vines?
Which ones tolerate NORTH COUNTRY winters?
How do (hardy) flowering vines compare with other varieties of (non-flowering) vines regarding their "privacy" attributes?

Are there other types of vines that are known to be dense "fence-huggers" (growing snug to the fence -- as opposed to the more "out of control" vines, that can threaten to engulf not only our fence, but the neighbor's driveway as well) ...?

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions that may be offered!

God bless...

WWJD

This message was edited Sunday, Aug 12th 3:21 PM

Hastings, MN

Post Script:

I forgot one question.

Does anyone know of "evergreen" vines (that would also be suited to grow on a chain-link fence) -- which would be hardy in zone 3-4?

Thank you!

WWJD

Welcome to Dave's Garden WWJD' If it were me,I would contact a local nursery and ask,they should know' Or perhaps,ask some friends,maybe take a drive and get some other ideas also from the homes around your area'I wouldn't too much longer,roots need get established before winter'

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

How about Ivy. It stays green all the time. You might see if it is hardy for your area.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.