OMG i am PUMPED look at these great containers!!!!

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

okay...i have to say that these are not for everyone....but they are ME ....they are my YARD;
i already own one...and a friend told me he was buying out an old flower shop and he had these junky planters.....knowing i am a gardener he brought um here...and guess what??
HE HAS ABOUT 2 doz of them!!!! he sold me this for 5 bucks....it is plastic...but doesn't look
plastic.....made by universal statuary in 1965;....eeeeeeeeeeee; they scream cottage.....
they are me!!!! he sez he has some with angels on them... and he has pedastals to go
with them that are ornate and GAUDY.....I AM GAUDY....for sure!@!!!!!
and i can't find a close up of the picture.....thought i had one but alas i don't will take one later for all to view!!!!

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

here is one...i have not unloaded the rest of the car

Thumbnail by sticks_n_stones
Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

this is the pedastal that goes with the group; havent even cleaned the dang stuff

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

more in the car .....too dark to photo

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

That's beautiful! That's not gaudy!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

You hit the jackpot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to go!!!

Janet

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Love, love, love that pedastal! Lucky you! Looks like fabulous stuff! Great haul!

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

thanks guys.....i am so excited to own it ....much less buy it so cheap; i will photo the rest tommorrow....it was a flower shop going out of business and a friend of mine bought its merchandise for dirt cheap.....i wanted everything!!!!

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

here is some of the take during the day

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

more

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

okay this is where i need help...the pedastals are heavy and i don't worry about them toppeling....the vases are fairly heavy, problem is what type of plants can i put in them that are :

1 hot afternoon full sun
2 shade until 4 o clock
3 small root base
4 voluminous foliage

the below pic is asparagus fern ....but the roots are so big that they are in huge black pots....what else would work?

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

here is another i tucked away in an ugly corner...not sure if it will stay there....i will probably put a BORing ivy

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Stick_N_Stones,
Your yard is beautiful

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Wow.. that's an amazing haul... I am so happy for you. Paydirt! LOL

Personally, I love that Mexican feather grass (pony tails) to drape over the sides. I'm not sure what you'd put in the center.. perhaps a combo of pretties?

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

I can see why you are "pumped". What a steal!!! Great pics. What a treasure trove you found.
I'd hate to pay full price for all those pots and stands. It makes me want to go ahunting through old stores;)

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

i bet there are some great ones up where you live:)

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

You are right, but every store is sooooooooooooooooooooo expensive:(

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

yup they are...but...this was a florist that had gone out of business....so maybe you could look for storage places auctions...liquidations etc....; the florist had all this stuff in a storage room for years...

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

I might do that cause I am sick of paying such high prices. In fact, you made me remember we live quite close to a flea market they have at the Valley Stock yards every Monday and I'm going to check it out.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

also, do you have a kmart by you? yesterday i was at kmart trying to finds some of those plastic clear water saucers to put under plants....well they had their martha stewart planters for 1.00; i had to resist...BUT, they had their heavy wrought iron planter holders that attach to fences for 2 bucks...i had to buy 6 of those....(grin)

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

Yes,we have Kmart, but I never see any Martha Stewart stuff at those low prices. I haven't been there in a while either. I see you grinning and with good reason:))

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

i actually hate kmart...but when home depot, wal mart and a garden store didn't have those plastic drip saucers...i thought maybe kmart will....well they didn't but the other stuff was worth the look....those martha stewart planters still keep calling me

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

I hate kmart too. I hate shopping too! I love to just sit out by the pond,crank up the chimenea in the "teepee"and roast a hot dog or two. Now that is what I call "living the good life".:)))))

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Great haul, sticks! Can you use any of them inside? I bet you could spray paint them to match the room where they'd go.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

posyblossum....i would rather stay at home too....i love my nest...and i try to feather it wonderfully:)...but you can shop on the internet...but i don't think you get as good of bargins as you can person to person....except maybe ebay...but that is getting harder...

pirl...i could probably use them inside...but i NEED so much outside....due to people such as yourself (grin)

You're sweet! The entrance is simply gorgeous. Now tell us more about which container will be for full sun, etc. so we can give you some ideas.

I'd never want to plant directly in any of the pieces you've shown us but always a pot inside of the piece with the plants in the pot.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

pirl...you are my type o'gardener...pots inside of pots....that is the way i garden...that way i can rotate stuff into and out of the pots...

as for full sun; that whole front entryway is shaded the whole day till about 2 pm...at that time it gets the hot rest of the day texas sun.....any suggestions are very appreciated:)

I would have said Caladiums for shade but if you're going to have all of the pots there then I need to do more thinking. What plants did you have in that area before the pots came along?

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

i generally do sweetpotato vine, coleus...this year i added grasses to the mix....; they didn't do particularly good

How about some short border dahlias? They come in solid colors (white, pink, red, etc.) or the pretty collarettes. They'd also go with coleus and any of the sweet potato vines.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

didnt know there was such a thing....will just have to look into them....;

Some are called 'Unwin' and others are called border dahlias. Dutch Gardens catalog is free and has great photos and in spring great offers on the collarette dahlias OR go to the Dahlia forum and look there.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

will dalhias take heat of the day sun?

With a double container they should. Just don't overwater. Does anyone else in Texas grow dahlias? I'd ask on the TX forum.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

will do...; i had some that had 11 to 3 sun and they got french fried...and i love their looks:)

I just asked our own Mr. Dahlia, bigcityAl, on a dahlia thread how well they'd do in Texas. When he tells me I'll let you know.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

thank you...

what else could i put in the containers on the pedastal....it needs something BIG

Big as in TALL or wide?

If you posted this on a TX thread about containers wouldn't you get a better response than from those of us who just love containers but don't grow in your climate?

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

yupers....thank you:)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.