Did I kill my babies?

Anderson, SC(Zone 7b)

Aargh! I bought 10 baby clematis vines (6-12") from eBay and they arrived Fri evening in perfect condition - all green & perky, even thru this heat.

But, being the scatterbrained idiot I am, I unpacked them yesterday am and laid them out on the lawn, watered them, and left them to get some "fresh air". I completely forgot about keeping their roots cool. Now several of them have black or severely wilted/curled up leaves.

Did I kill them permanently, or can I save them?

Richmond Hill, GA

Your clematis should be fine. Sounds like leaf burn to me. You should pot them up for the first year. You want to build a strong root system. Jeanne is the local expert here so she can probably give you a little bit more information.

I found this in one of the other post:
Jeanne wrote:
I'm not confident that planting it deeper will stop a clematis from getting wilt ..especially the type 2's..but removing the leaves on the first leaf axil that is from the soil and planting it deep enough so that leaf axil is under the soil will assure you that the leaf axil will root and you'll have a bigger and stronger clematis..and of course the further down the roots..the more moist they will be...that is why you always hear people talk about planting them deeper...or that is what I do...Jeanne

Happy gardening,
Arlene

This message was edited Aug 27, 2007 12:47 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.