Why would this happen?

Riverview, FL

Why would only one side of my Allamanda go kaput? As you can see part of the middle has died, now the other side is going the way of the dodo, and I want to preserve the surviving half.

What would cause only parts of a plant to die at a time, and how can I save the rest of the plant??

She gets direct sunlight from sunrise to roughly 10 am then bright light until roughly 2pm ( i know she's technically a full sun plant, however she's been blooming for a month now, and my dipladenia and mandevilla are doing fine, not flowering, but still growing leaves). I don't water her very often to prevent root rot, but at the very least once per week a good soaking.

What can I do to prevent the other half of the plant from dying, if anything??

Thumbnail by darkempress2003
Riverview, FL

And this one.

Thumbnail by darkempress2003
Riverview, FL

OH!!!

I need to add that roughly a month ago I put a very light dose of Bayer Rose and Shrub something something. Basically it's a bug killer and fertilizer that STINKS. Literally and figuratively. I wanted to prevent the spread of spider mites on my little patio there and I thought the Bayer would help. Well it didn't and I had to kill my poor dahlias because you couldn't even see the leaves anymore they were so covered.

I've never sprayed anything on the Allamanda, and I've only given it a light treatment of the Bayer, but it's strange because the middle died BEFORE I gave it the Bayer....so I really don't know.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

The best way to get rid of spider mites is simply spraying them with a good blast of water. They like it hot and dry. Several repeats and they'll be gone... Insecticides are for insects, and mites are not insects. So by killing off the insects that may help keep the mites in check, you'll get a big bloom of mites - like you experienced.

It's hard to tell what could be wrong with your Allamanda. If it were mine, I would take it out of the pot and look at the roots. Check to see if they are healthy. They should be a light tan and firm. If they are dark brown or black or mushy (try pulling a root through your fingers - if the outside is firmly attached to the core it should be OK, but if the outside comes off as you pull on it, it is rotten), you just may be watering too much. Most plants in pots are killed by too much water, not too little. The soil in the bottom part of the pot - sometimes the whole 1/2 or more of the pot - often stays water logged. Those holes in the bottom of the pot are often not large enough to get adequate drainage. Check to see if the soil is water logged. If there are any healthy roots left, I would cut off the dead (source of fungus) and repot in new soil. After watering it in, don't water again until it starts to wilt. Plants wilt when their roots are rotten, and they wilt when they need water. We want them to wilt from lack of water because that can be fixed.
I really do think this may be your problem, but without checking the roots, we won't know for sure.

What is the main ingredient in your Bayer whatever....? It would be in the lower left of the package.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

My guess would also be some sort of watering issue, either that or the branches that died were damaged/broken somewhere near the base. That's more common on things that you have in the garden though vs containers.

Some instecticides will also kill mites, but you do need to read the label because some of them won't. I think the stuff you used is a systemic insecticide and I don't think those kill mites (although I don't use them so I don't know for sure). I do know that my neem oil spray which is my "last resort" when the hose just isn't working will kill mites as well as insects.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.