Large Milkweed Bugs (Oncopeltus fasciatus)

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

I have read that these bugs are only harmful to milkweed plants--they look like large orange ahpids-- and that they actually are helpful in keeping milkweed in check in the wild. I have a very small butterfly garden with five milkweed plants (which I'd rather not lose) that attract a lot of butterflys. Treating them like aphids, I used insectidal soap on these beasties. But is there another way to control these? I prefer organic methods.
Thanks from a newbie.

This message was edited Aug 24, 2007 9:37 PM

This message was edited Aug 24, 2007 9:54 PM

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

Those milkweed bugs love to eat the seed pods. If you cut off the pods, those mw bugs usually leave.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

And spraying with insecticidal soap kills small Monarch caterpillars too....

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Thank you, fly-girl and ceejaytown! I will cut off the seed pods--I don't need them to reseed. I'm glad not to spray if I don't have to.
I appreciate the quick response.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I have also taken clean dish soap water and a clean rag and washed them off. I used to get upset by them. The Orange aphids are born pregnant.
Doesn't that fact make your day?
;)

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

From my observation, those large milkweed bugs not only suck the juice out of the milkweed's seedpod. It congergate on my adenium's seedpod as well, then I actually saw them on my Natal plum and eating away! (only the ripe plums). I haven't seen them on the green plums, but.... any thought?

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

AAAAAARGH!
Born pregnant!

I'm going to try the soap & water treatment. Does that mean that insectidal soap spray would be OK?

YES!!!!
;)

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

The least toxic to the possible Monarch eggs and cats would be the bucket-of-death method. You get a bucket and put some dish soap in there, swish it and then flick the mw bugs into it. It works and no residue to wash off.

If you use insecticidal soap or anything organic or not, it can kill the other critters that love milkweed and that are desirable.

Point well taken. Sorry I didn't think that through better.
;)

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

And as I recall, aphids weren't the problem, it was milkweed bugs, and they aren't born pregnant - thank goodness. Although they take care of that problem rather quickly....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.