Some of my favorite plants

Yardley, PA

This is my pride and joy. I had had a Dioscorea mexicana and sold it and bought this D. Elephantipes. The ruler is 6". This sits right next to my patio chair so I can look at it.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Yardley, PA

I killed a number of these so this Pachypodium brevicaule is very special.
That was my first bloom. I was thrilled.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Yardley, PA

This is a Gonolobus cyclophyllus. It gets a lot of the small flowers you see and they smell like poop. That is so they attract flys.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

SallyD, WOW, really fantastic plants, wonderful photos! Thanks for sharing!

Larry

Yardley, PA

I found this Euphorbia Knuthii can also be a little tricky to grow. It gets such a neat root system.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Yardley, PA

Thank you Larry for letting me share these. My family is sick of hearing about them!

These are also two that I just love. The Operculicarya Decaryi in the back has the greatest truck. It just twists and turns. It also has bumps all over it. Very easy to grow. I have had that plant for a very long time. I don't remember when I bought it.

The Ipomoea Holubii is just wonderful. It is in the morning glory family and it get beautiful purple flowers almost daily. They only last one day. I will have to get a picture of one and post it.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Yardley, PA

I really like the Pachypodiums and this is the horombense. I am waiting for this to flower.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Yardley, PA

This is the Pachypodium inopinatum which has an interesting shape.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Yardley, PA

I am pretty sure this is a Tinospora Caffra. I had lost the tag but this has the neatest pealing trunk.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Yardley, PA

This is my very large Jatropha Podagrica. For about 3 summers I planted this straight into my garden for the summer. The growth on it was remarkable.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Yardley, PA

I love this Pachypodium succuletum. It has a big hole in it and a lot of character.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Hey, I am just thrilled to see these plants, really neat!!!

Larry

This message was edited Aug 24, 2007 8:10 PM

Yardley, PA

I posting this Pseudolithos miguirtinus because I can't believe I haven't killed it. They are so sensitive. It is even doing this wierd little blooming thing on the side.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Yardley, PA

Larry, this is such fun for me. It is like showing pictures of my children and most people are bored to tears when you do that.

I am just putting this Notocactus scopa inermis because I think it is no neat looking. It is grafted.

This message was edited Aug 24, 2007 8:20 PM

Thumbnail by Sally0
Yardley, PA

I also love this Neoporteria napina with the little red dot in the middle of each cluster.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Yardley, PA

I don't want to forget the Pachypodium densiflorum.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

SallyD, you have such great taste!!! I love 'em all. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

Sally if you dont already
Please place your entire collection in the Philadelphia Flower Show
I see many prize winners there.
Your collection is just fabulous and quite admirable
Im blown away!
Most of what you have shown are plants id like to someday acquire
Fantastic!
Thanks so much for posting them all. ;)

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Absolutely Breathtaking Sally....MANY of these I have never seen before!
Don't you just LOVE their personalities? They all must have "special" names for them.
I named my Adenium (my only caudiciform) Zora as she looks like a Zora to me :)

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

SallyD, I would be willing to bet that you have NOT posted ALL the plants that you have, especially the caudiciforms, Hum...hum......hum.....?? 8>))

Definitely agree with Malestrom that you should enter your collection in some show forum!
Your Plants are "outrageous"!!

Larry

Yardley, PA

Gee, thanks everyone! It is so much fun sharing because most people who come to my house think they are just wierd. They see the Dioscoria E. and get this look on their face like "huh?" I hope your not just being nice because I am now going to put more pictures up.

Malestrom - Do you belong to the cactus/succulent society in Philadelphia?
They have different categories and everyone brings in some of their plants.
You see some incredible species! They also do caudiciforms. I am sure they would love to see some of your plants. I only went once because my 2 teenage boys keep me so busy, but I am definitely going back.

Kim, I have so many plants I don't have them named but I am going to name some of my specials. That is a great idea. My family will then think I am completely nuts.

Yardley, PA

Larry, thanks. I would love to put more on! My dog is sick me telling him about the plants. He is the only one who listens. He is just pretending to sleep. Sally

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

That's what is SO GREAT about Dave's Sally.....WE understand :)
Doesn't matter what kind of plants you are "into" there is a forum for it and we all share the same passion.
I completely understand what you are talking about. I stopped talking to people about my plants because they just kind of get that "who really cares" look on their faces. This is why I don't really have "friends" outside of Dave's, I have NOTHING in common with "regular" people *lol*
I literally obsess over my babies and can spend an entire day just "playing" with them :) It's like heaven!
Your Ipomoea Holubii is just beautiful, I just wanna rub her belly!

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Amen!!!

Larry

SallyD
I never thought of it.
Do you have any information?
Id love to check it out. ;)
Thanks!

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

Great collection and great pictures Sally.Thank you for sharing.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

SallyD,
Thank you! It is a wonderful collection. I tell people that caudiciforms are an acquired taste -- the more they look like they are dead, or the uglier they are, the more valuable.

Are you using clay pellets, and if so, are they the only medium you are using, or are they a top-dressing? It looked like clay pellets in several of the photos.

Susan in Minneapolis

Yardley, PA

Malestrom - Here is the link to the Phila. Cactus and Succulent Society.
There are some amazingly knowledgeable people there.

http://www.philacactus.org/activities.htm

Susan - I use what is called - semi-hydroponics. It is only clay pellets.
There are 2 holes about an inch from the bottom of the pot. There is always an inch of water on the bottom that will keep the root moist but not soaked.
It has taken care of about 98% of my rot problems. I have switched all my plants over to it.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

SallyD,
I am interested in the clay pellets. Do you have any links or online info. to point to that I could look at? It is clear that you have done a wonderful job growing your caudiciforms, and the pellets may be part of your success. Do you keep the one inch of water in winter, when many are dormant? If the plants are outside for the summer, how do you deal with heavy rain? Tell us more!

This is so exciting to see your plants; I had mentally complained that this forum should be renamed to the adenium forum, since it seems that was all people posted about, but this has been a very pleasant surprise. Thanks.

Susan

Yardley, PA

Hi Susan, I would go to a site called First Rays. I can't put a link because the powers to be be mad if I do. There is a forum there that is helpful but it is mostly about orchids. I started with the orchids and then thought I would try the caudiciforms and was thrilled at how well they do. It really is probably more of a natural environment for the plants. It is great in the rain because the excess water drains right out the 2 holes. You can't overwater. I do leave water in the pots in the winter as most of mine don't go dormant because I have them in the warm house. I just don't water a lot. They usually are resting even if they aren't dormant. I just wait to see when the water goes about half way down, then I water again. I find it is better not to lose the roots. I will definitely post more of my plants. It is like showing pictures of my children to people.

Id love to see you do a thread with all the steps from potting medium and pot sizes to watering method and schedule etc.
Lot of work and I wouldnt blame you if you didnt.
But that with pics would be an awesome help.

I emailed the Philadelphia Cactus Society and they invited me to the next meeting WOO-HOO!!
Im so excited!
Thanks for the link!
Will you be there?

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

SallyD,
I second Malestrom's request; I am VERY interested in the idea of converting some succulents/caudiciforms to this in an attempt to grow better plants. Winter growing indoors is always fraught with concerns of overwatering and thus rotting, but I have killed some from being too dry too. Please, please!

Susan

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Me 2. Although I only grow 3 adeniums (because that's all that I can find locally) I would be interested in seeing how to do the "clay pellets thing". :)

Yardley, PA

I will try to post the information tomorrow. I have been away. My brother's 23 year old son died of an overdose the Sat. before and I was talking to my brother on Sunday, we were cut off. I called back and he had died of a heart attack! Unbelieveable. He was 51. His poor wife.

Anyway, I would love to share it with you. I can't stress the remarkable success I have had.

Yardley, PA

Malestrom - I am going to try to make the C/S meeting this Sunday. One of the category for sharing is caudiciforms and bonsai. In May one of the groups are the adeniums. If we want to trade anything that would be the place to do it. My boys are starting all of their school stuff, so I am not sure.

Ill be there!
Or should I say 'Im planning on being there' ;)

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

OMG Sally I am SO sorry to hear of your losses.
What an awful thing!
My heart breaks for you and I will pray for you and your family.
My deepest condolences :(

Kim

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

SallyD, let me add my heartfelt condolences, too!
8(
Larry

So sorry Sally :(

Las Cruces, NM(Zone 8a)

My thoughts and prayers will be with you also, such a terrible tragedy for all of you.
Sheri

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.