Ugly Bluejay...Is it young, old or just ugly?

Crivitz, WI(Zone 4b)

Can anyone tell me if this is a young, old or just a really ugly bluejay? It's hard to get a good clear photo of this guy...it seems to have a complex, I guess I can't really blame it.

Thumbnail by plantzoo
Marlton, NJ

Possibly could be a really bad case of feather mites but lets hear more opinions.

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, this time of year it's very common for the BlueJays to lose their head feathers, whether from normal molting for from lice (and the same for Cardinals). And they are indeed quite unattractive for a little while. But the feathers will grow back soon and they'll again be beautiful.

Carla

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

He needs a hat.

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

He looks half vulture.

He looks naked as a Jay bird.

Redcliff, AB

"Naked as a jay bird!" Thanks, fchisolm, I just spat iced tea all over my computer! LOL

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

DH is asking why I am laughing outloud................

Marlton, NJ

LOL! Definitely the worst looking one I've seen yet!

I am sorry about the computer.

Redcliff, AB

Oh, the computer survived. The laugh was definately worth it!

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

it really looks like someone photoshopped a vulture's head on him

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

This must be a blue-jay thing. I have had two at the fountain this week that look just like him/her.

Some of the cardinals are really ugly right now too.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Time for everyone to molt.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I wondered what could be wrong with Mrs. Cardinal! She has a spikey "do"!
(LouC - you're a birder, too!)

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

All young Jay go through this stage. They usually hide during this time when they have no head feathers. There are 2 coming to my feeder.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Enjoy the birds immensely. Don't really study them much but since they are all over my yard all the time..can't help but learn something about them just from observation. I've posted the picture below somewhere else today....don't remember where. This is just outside my window where the pc is located. Not real easy to see but there is also a second bird bath on the ground.....looks like a boy with a ball cap on. The dove and other ground feeders keep him busy.

Thumbnail by LouC
Marlton, NJ

Nice place Lou! I'll bet that big fountain w/ the dripping water draws a lot of birds to your yard.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Lou - so beautiful and peaceful! Thanks for sharing the solace.

Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

Just beautiful. Just beautiful

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you so much. Here is another picture of the full fountain. Yesterday I should have started a census of the birds that were in this area. Have a lot of elements to qualify for natural habitat...just never have gone to the trouble. The butterflies are numerous as well. This is still through the window.

This message was edited Aug 26, 2007 9:41 AM

Thumbnail by LouC
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Might as well show you my newest addition. Wish I knew how to post more than one picture at a time. This little pond is directly behind the boy on the ground.

Thumbnail by LouC
Crivitz, WI(Zone 4b)

Hi Everyone,
Thanks to all of you for the information. I had no idea birds lost head
feathers (only) during the molting season. I wonder if they just fall out or
if they scratch them out. I think it's probably a female with a full nest of
babies and she just scratched them out from the stress of feeding them all!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Plantzoo: That Jay is definitely having a bad hair day. He's not alone tho, as others have said. I've seen some truly scraggly looking Cardinals the past few weeks. This little guy, for example.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Marlton, NJ

That one does look like feather mites.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Pelle: Must be an epidemic among the Cardinals then. :) They all look pretty rough. The House Finches don't look so good either.

Marlton, NJ

Between molting a feather mites their really going to look awful.

Aren't you glad we don't have something like that? :-)

It makes one realize how blessed they are to have hair and not feathers.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't know.......have ya'll looked at some of the "do's" at the mall. Makes these birdies look pretty good.

LouC

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Those birds are having a bad feather day for sure!
I feel really sorry for them though. :0(

Wanda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.