Can I store my seeds over Winter?

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I've got 2 ripening seed pods on my beauty & am so happy I came to this forum to find out about propagation - thank you all!
But one answer I couldn't find was how to store my seeds (I'm thinking positive here!) for sprouting them next Spring.
Any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Thumbnail by marea
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I would go ahead and put them in water and let the sprouting begin.....lol My understanding is, the seed are only viable for a "short" period of time....BUT I have no idea what that short period may be...it may be a few months to a year....but I am not sure if you could hold them much longer. Just be certain they are dry and papery. I let my pods dry and crack on the stems, and then put them on a saucer for a couple of days to completely dry before using them or putting in envelopes, but I am certainly no expert!!!

I agree. I am in the process some sprouting some that are old and the germination rate drops severely if you keep them more than a couple of months. Germinate them now and pot them up with several per pot if you want to save space and have bulbs for later. Treat them as houseplants year-round.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Is the one pictured Minerva? It is just beautiful!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh thank you for your swift answers! I will plan on another pot for the RV window this Winter ~ LOL!

I was given my bulb as 'Apple Blossom' but since it bloomed this orangey red so I'm not sure that's correct... Really sturdy, wonderful cultivar whoever she is, since it survived my neglect & gave me 2 stalks with 4 huge flowers each this May/June!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Very pretty whatever her name may be...lol and you are quite welcomed!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

My plant sure DOES look like the 'Minerva' photos, Janet ... The first pod opened today and I have a dozen seeds floating already! *grin*

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

There are so many that look alike it always hard to tell from a photo for me..lol But like I said it is a beauty! Good luck with those seeds!!

North Ipswich, Qld, Australia

Marea,
Could you post a picture of what you called "Ripening seed pods" or are you just referring to the flowers? As I have red ones and if I knew what to look for I could save the seeds and put them on the trade for other people.

Also, how do you take the bulbs out of the ground if you are getting a clump of them and be able to keep them, so I can send them to people if they are looking for red one's?

Any help from anyone would be very much appreciated.

A Friend,

Debi

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Debi - I neglected to take a photo, sorry! The seed pods form from the flowers on the top of the stalks. They are green pumpkin shaped pods that grow to about the size of a walnut. They eventually ripen after about 8 weeks & open on the seams to reveal lots of flat, circular black seeds. The bees did the fertilization for me.

Hopefully someone with experience will tell us both about dividing the bulbs.

Marea

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

http://www.lsuagcenter.com/en/lawn_garden/home_gardening/landscaping/Amaryllis.htm

is a very good site for info on Amaryllis

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Thank you so much, Janet.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.