Little Lamb Hydrangea?

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Anyone growing this paniculata hydrangea? How well does it come through the winter? Does it die back every year or does some previous growth come back? How big a space does it really need? Do the flowers go green at the end of the season? What has your experience been and would you but it again?

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Mary had one.

Don't have that one ngam, but it's probably similar to other paniculatas. With mine, the wood has survived the past few Winters. I normally cut it back some anyway to get the look I want. No concern about flowering since it's on new wood.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Well you know I have it ;)

Don't cut back any paniculatas, you can do some pruning of dead stuff once they leaf out.
Mine is in it's second year here, I am fighting it's habit some. I will tie it up and prune some of the flopping branches next year. The flowers have a rosy tint now.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Al you do seem to have all the plants I ask about. :) I want it for a backdrop for the 'Green Envy' echinacea. I would have liked to get 'Limelight' but only have about a 5x5 foot space. When the stems harden off some, do you think it will stand up better? Also have some oriental lilies next to the spot including Stargazer so I thought the colors would work okay.Your's looks very happy and the pinkish tint is just what I was hoping to see. Thanks.

Why do you say not to cut it back, Al?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

They are woody, so they really don't dieback. I end up cutting off 6" here or there on my paniculatas, but they will never reach a good size if you cut them back.

I cut my Pink Diamond back the first Spring after I planted it - almost to the ground. They are now over six feet tall. This year I only clipped the dead ends off. The initial cutback made them bush out better.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.