Ants on Okra

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I have a friend that has some nice healthy okra plants, but they have not had the first bloom! They have been attacked with big black ants - so I suggested that he spray them with 1/2 alchol and water with a shot of detergent. His wife wants no chemicals on her veggies. He did use the alcohol mixture so it would not show.
He then called the County Agent that told him that the alcohol prevented the bees (killed them) from fertilizing the Okra - therefore no fruit. I contend that the alcohol would not affect the bees unless they were sprayed directly - besides, there had been no flowers. Am I wrong??

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Well, if there weren't any flowers then there wasn't anything to pollinate so it doesn't matter where the bees were, they can't pollinate something that doesn't exist! Maybe he forgot to mention that part to the county agent.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

normally when ants appear, it is a sign of another insect problem, mealybug, scale, etc. the ants tend the bugs for the "honeydew" they produce. ivory liquid diluted in a spray bottle will kill ants instantly. something about that ivory......it really works. alcohol and water is a great way to kill the mealybugs, aphids, etc. although it won't kill scale.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.