Opinions on placement?

Anderson, SC(Zone 7b)

Hi,
I'm new to cannas but sooooo want to buy 10 million of them! lol So far I have Australia (6-8') and Ermine (2-3'), and I also have bids on giant & med height ones at eBay. I want to "cluster" my cannas.

I'm so confused, tho! I can't figure out where to put them around my new deck because of spacing, so I'm wondering if those of you experienced with these plants can help me out?

As you're looking at my deck in the pic, I have the area in front (between the ramp & front of the deck) that's about 8'x2'. The other area I'm considering is on the right side of the deck (as you look at it, between the deck & the fence) about 12'x3'.

I'd really appreciate your opinions. Thanks!!

Thumbnail by SCNewbie
College Station, TX(Zone 8b)

Not sure about the Cannas but I'd be looking at some kind of vine for that lattice. ;) I'm on a morning glory kick right now. Any place around there would be great for cannas. You could even get some of the dwarf varieties for in front of the wheelchair ramp.

Anne

Anderson, SC(Zone 7b)

I'm vining alright, but not on the deck. ;) I just bought 10 clematis to grow on the front half of the fenced in area for some privacy. I'm freaked out about the spiders down here, so I don't want anything bushy for them to hide in too close to my living spaces outside. (not to mention the yellow jackets that have been harassing me lately)

I have deck boxes on the way for the railings. I probably will put some canna in front of the ramp, but not until I get the flowerbed put in that's going there. That's going to be a large bed, going from the corner of the ramp to the front corner of the fence, about 40-50'.

I bought this place as a repo & the previous owners never did anything, so it was like a blank canvas - fun!! The deck & the fenced area are new, there's a container garden on the left side of the deck, and now the other beds are starting to go in. I'm going to add some trees, too.

College Station, TX(Zone 8b)

Sounds like lots of fun. I'll have to send you some pictures of my place after they built the side porch and wheelchair ramp.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.