Clematis Josephine question

Wadsworth, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi ya'll....I'm a newbie to Clematis. I bought Clematis 'Josephine' months ago, and she has done NOTHING. Not a new leaf, flower, bud, NOTHING. Except, of course, get terrible discoloration in her leaves, and some actually dried up and fell off. She's not in too much sunlight, but definitely not lacking. I've recently discovered that she's a group 2 clematis...and I'm still not quite clear what that means. I read in one of the other posts ('Clematis Roots') something that led me to believe I was supposed to hack it back when I planted it? It probably had 4 or 5 vines that were about 4-5ft tall, which I did my best to wrap around twine that went from the ground to the low branches of a dogwood. She didn't take well to that, just sagged back down to the ground and pouted. What do I do with her? Sing her songs? Trim her tendrils? Help!

Wadsworth, OH(Zone 5b)

Please? Somebody? Maybe just point me in the right direction?

Denton, TX(Zone 7b)

I'm new to clematis also. What color are the roots? I think as long as they're pale or tan colored it is still alive and will come back. Just watch for little green sprouts to come from the base. I had one that died and the roots were black.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.