Kid Nation

Jefferson, GA(Zone 7b)

I saw the previews for this show. Kind of like survivor (which I love) but with kids in the desert in like an old ranch town. The minute I saw it I thought it may be interesting. However, more importantly, I sorta had a feeling like it wasn't really right to put the kids out there like that. I thought 'how long before someone is having a fit over this?' You know someone is gonna say something. Something will happen. Sure enough, GMA this morning was talking about it. They took these kids out to NM and did the show. The parents signed a waiver saying the kids would obey the producer or risk being kicked off. They had to miss 6 weeks of school in the spring. They had no supervision. And since they had to work to survive, it basically violated child labor laws. It also violated them in that since they were filming all day and they are in essence actors then they were working all day in that sense too. Even worse is, they gave each child's family $5000, that's it, and the promise of possible gifts in the future. They are also bound by a confidentiality contract that if they violate, they have to pay 5 million. The local labor authority said they never knew filming was going on out there and by the time they found out and were going to investigate, production was done and gone.
It really sounds to me like they exploited these families. Apparently one or more kids had some bad experiences but you aren't hearing much cause they can't discuss it. I heard a couple kids drank bleach and one was burned by hot grease or something. You know, TV is so crappy these days. Do we really have to stoop this low for more crap?

This thread has 5 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!