DAILY PICS- VOL.18

Marlton, NJ

An old pic.

Thumbnail by pelletory

a cardinal on August 22, early afternoon at 100 degrees

Thumbnail by
Melbourne, FL

I'll add an older shot of mine of a Cardinal pair.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I was thinking that Sally Rand the fan dancer that was portrayed in the movie The Right Stuff. Towards the end of the movie when they were having the big Texas party for the Astronauts. Still a little off track.

Klamath River, CA

That's the Sally Rand I mean. She performed for many years.

Klamath River, CA

Bad hair day.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Great photos, everyone! The deer visit my yard and I have roses! However, if I forget to spray Liquid Fence fairly regularly, they do eat a bit. The rabbits do more damage than the deer, but again, if I remember to spray, there's little problem.

Klamath River, CA

You can make your own spray with milk and the white of an egg. I've used just milk and it seemed to be effective.

Kitchener, Canada

That cardinal (August 22....100 degrees) looks just like the guy in my feed tray yesterday morning.
Wait! I bet it is the same guy and he's run a marthon from Canada down to Richland! Thats why he's looking a touch haggered.
Hope you give him some water!

Besides the bird bath; I filled the outdoor firepit with water and added rocks so there would be shallow areas. The squirrels have their own bowl of water.

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

At the time I took this picture, I didn't realize Pumpkin, the cat, had his eyes on Blue Boy also! This morning he discovered I had a pocket full of peanuts, and followed me around the yard begging for just "one more." He hides the peanuts for latter, and comes back for another one. I have three Jays coming regularly. Only one is "tame," and they all look the same. The tame one comes up to me, if the cats are out of sight.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Down in the gutter.

This is a female Rusty Blackbird. First one I have ever seen, in the city. A migratory flock was feed in the yard next door. So, I grabbed the camera, and ran out the door. The Jay flew down on the truck and begged for a peanut. I gave him one and snapped the above picture. He hid it and followed me across the yard next door. I gave the jay several peanuts and he kept coming back for another one. Which, totally confused the Blackbird, allowing me to come close for several good pictures.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Marlton, NJ

Very nice pics Gary! Your Steller friend is really a handsome boy and I love the cat getting in there looking at the Jay,
Thats great you now have another new bird on your list. Those Rusty Blackbirds are really nice looking,I've only ever seen photos of them twice.

Great job! Thanks for posting them!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Mama mockingbird, looking a little worn out, after raising her brood.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Since it's hard for me to get good close pics of the birds I thought I would share this instead. This is my view from the living area. I see this as I sit here and type. Watching the birds come and go from the feeders and birdbath. The Butterfly bush full of little wings both the butterflies and the hummers love it. The Hummers love the Cannas too I can sit all day and watch them dart in and out. The Sunflower feeder and the sunflowers below the feeder draw in so many birds, Cardinals, Blue Jays and several types of woodpeckers, not to mention the Squirrels and Chipmunks. The Wild bird mix appeals to so many of the smaller birds Black capped Chickadees, sparrows, Titmouse are regulars. Red-wing Black birds show up from time to time and the ever present Morning Doves. The Thistle feeder always has a few Gold finches and the Prilla growing under it will soon produce plenty of seed heads for them as well. There is an old suet feeder on the pole in the back that will be filled as the weather gets colder and the birdbath and small pond as well as a few shallow clay trays provide plenty of water. The small pond has plenty of wildlife of it's own, too.We even get the occasional Blue bird and Indigo Bunting and a Red Tail Haws has been seen sitting on top of the tallest feeder from time to time. Of course as the seasons change so do the birds and there are also Bunnies, Groundhogs and Deer that sometimes wander in.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Marlton, NJ

Nice yard Holly!

Klamath River, CA

Some time back there was question as to how blue were Steller's. These pics have not been computure enhanced.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Marlton, NJ

Nice pics adel!

bsharf- love your Mockingbird! Haven't seen mine for a long time now.

Klamath River, CA

Come on man ! Get your feet back down on the ground.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Northern, IN

I thought you bird watchers would like to see a picture of a beautiful Painted Bunting.

Whoops! Wait a minute......I've been down this road before.

Oh well, I hope you enjoy the photography.

Dave

Thumbnail by GoldenDomer
Marlton, NJ

Beautiful pic Dave!! Thanks so much for posting it! :-)

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Adlebertcat: I've really been enjoying the antics of your jays.
Holly: That's a nice view you have.

I haven't taken many pics this summer, but the birds seem to have suddenly returned all at once! So I took a few this morning.

This Nuthatch and House Finch seemed to have a lengthy back and forth about who's feeder it is.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

This Wren was very, very frustrated by the tiny openings in the finch feeder. :)
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

And this little lady rested in the peach tree between strafing the flower beds.

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Finally, young master Cardinal. Tthis little guy, who looks like a work in progress. He was very cute in his own scruffy way.

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Marlton, NJ

Great pics Deb! I've never seen a wren at my thistle feeders; thats neat!

Deb do you happen to have a peanut silo up?

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Pelle: No, no peanut feeder, although I do have some "nutty" mix I put in the tube feeders occasionally..
I think the wren was attracted because there's some tiny stuff other than thistle in the thistle feeder. Eventually he gave us and went to the other feeders.
Deb

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Hummer shot for the day...........

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Northern, IN

Beautiful.

Marlton, NJ

Excellent catch!!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

It never seems like that's that many of those "long" tail feathers when I see them. Great Capture!!!

Janet

Brainerd, MN

That's gorgeous!

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

I've never seen a photo quite like that - great!

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Hah, hb was doing daily exercises, lol. I watch for them to do the scratching/stretching thing, but it happens so fast it's hard to catch w/ camera. This one looks as if the head is almost detached.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Tigerlily: Good one!

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Just a second later, things are looking up.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Marlton, NJ

Very cute ones tiger!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.