What is your favorite surface for a path?

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I have a path that runs through the garden from the front to the back yard. It is just dirt now. I have also used dark mulch to contrast with the brown mulch in the beds. The plus side of the dirt is it is easy to get rid of any weeds that pop up here and there. The down side is that weeds pop up here and there and it is not that attractive with just dirt. What are you favorite surfaces for paths and why? How much work involved and are you pleased with the look and maintenance?

Thumbnail by ngam
Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6a)

I have tried several materials Bark, grass, dirt, flat stones. The best for appearance is wash gravel, a 1/4 " stone mulch 2-3" deep. It is very heavy and while it is not much trouble to put down it is very hard labor and must be renewed every few years, and sprayed with weed killer whenever they appear.
arfitz

North Augusta, ON

I go barefoot all summer so my favourite is a nice soft wood mulch...any kind will do, free is best :) Maintenance is no problem, if it starts growing weeds I just do a quick run through with my Grampas old claw thingy (no idea it's name)

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I like the mulch too but with so many beds to mulch, more gets to be a big pia or back or everything. Has anyone tried that stuff they sell for under pavers? I guess I want gorgeous, lasts forever and no maintenance. LOL

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

My preference is for paths and roads paved with gold - still looking for them in America :-)

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Love stones, but they can be expensive. My front walkway is Bluestone and I really like it.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I have stones with bark. I do have to add more bark to it every year, which isn't that hard really.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=3822802

(Zone 4a)

I really like Al's idea.....

However could you not use stones and then plant moss or something around them?

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I think I might do two different treatments. Mulch/dirt on the lower shady part and stones or large brick pavers with pea stone and creeping thyme or some similar plant on the top sunny end. Thanks for all the suggestions and info. :) Of course first I must redo a bed here or there, the garden part always comes first then if any time, money and energy is left little cosmetic projects get done. At least that's my excuse for the last few years. Thanks again all!

(Zone 4a)

Sounds like a good idea to me....Your yard looks so pretty too! I love the arbour!

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Dawn, I lucked out on that arbor, it was on sale at the end of season a couple years ago so got it for half price. It blew over a couple times before I finally got it cemented in but held up well.

Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

I don't have one but I love a brick path. Would look GREAT with your brick house.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Yes I would love to use some old bricks but it is too long, even the top half would be more $ than I want to spend and putting down bricks neatly with a good foundation is more work than I have ambition for at this stage of the game. I think a good compromise might be the brick colored pavers, you know the large square ones or maybe the brick sized ones in rows of three or five with spaces of equal length in between with mulch, or creeping plants.

Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

That would look pretty too. I think the brick color of the pavers would look good against the house.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, I think that is what I will do if I get up enough ambition, maybe this fall when it cools off and that second wind of gardening urge kicks in. :)

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have pre-made stepping stones and I'll be adding bark around them, in the area around my bird feeders I'm going to be doing pea gravel. I love the large stones, they look so cool, maybe somewhere I'll do that.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Make sure to put down thick landscape fabric under the gravel and be prepared to find weeds anyway! I'm no fan of gravel - experience has taught me otherwise.

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

I called up a local tree service and volunteered to take the output of their tree shredder if they had some they wanted to get rid of. They were happy to oblige and next week dropped off two truck loads of shredded bark and branches which I used as a thick mulch layer for paths between flower beds. It is still nice to walk on four years later, but I do have to spray for weeds twice a year.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Victor I agree with you about gravel, mulch is the easiest to maintain as far as weeds are concerned I think. Growing something in between stepping stones is a pretty look and might limit weed growth if you got it well established, but hand pulling is then required. I think stepping stones/pavers and mulch, with enough room around the stones so my stirrup hoe fits easily is the way to go. :)

Hartford, CT(Zone 5a)

I'm glad I found this thread. I've been planning to put some paths through a space that is if I remember correctly 32' x 39 that my dad used to use as a vegetable garden. It has sat pretty much untended for the last 5 years though I have been reclaiming small sections a time. I finally decided that laying out the paths would make it easier to decide what to plant where. I have 2 1/2 pallets of natural fieldstone delivered Wednesday and am quite excited about finally getting started! Dave

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.