Is there a recipe site on DG, Australia?

Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

I'm looking for Pressure Cooker recipes for chutney's and jams (also for recipes in which liqueur or liquor is added for flavour). Hope this thread is not pulled! I dont know of other Australian sites on which to post this question. Thanks. Joanmary

This message was edited Aug 22, 2007 10:35 AM

Hi it is 12.30 at night here will get back to you in the morning on that I have some beaut recipes and perhaps somene else will pop in too......happy to oblige and welcome to down under :) chrissy

Chrissy100, Thanks soooo much. I don't think many people here in the USA use pressure cookers! Lots of P.C. recipes on the net for cooking meat etc, but few for p.c. jam and chutney, and of course Very Few for delicious recipes that have a liquor added! I see these jams in the Gourmet Stores all the time (whisky marmalade etc), but would love to get a nice recipe collection of them for my own use! I bet I'm not the onely one who'd like this information. I've just made peach and apricot jam and chutney using Splenda instead of granulated sugar. Today I'm finishing piccalilli! Never made this before, so hope it turns out well!

So again, thanks Chrissy!

ok no 1

Apricot and almond jam
500 grms (1 lb) of dried apricots
2 and a 1/2 cups of boiling water
2 oranges
2 kilos of sugar (4lbs)
45 grms of slivered almonds (1 and 1/2 ozs)
1/2 a cup of Grande Marnier or orange flavoured liqueur (optional)

Cut the apricots into small pieces,Place in a bowl and cover with boiling water.Leave stand o/night
Remove rind from oranges with a zester ..place in cold water and leave overnight.Drain the next day.
Add peel to the apricots,place fruit and the liquid in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
Place sugar on a baking tray and warm in the oven.Add to the apricots.Cook gently until a skin forms from a little placed in a cold
saucer.Remove and let cool for ten minutes.Add the Liqueur and bottle in warm sterile jars.Seal when cold.
Makes 8 cups ...so you can adjust for how much you require.
This jam will keep for a year and is a real treat.
I will send another tomorrow as I am pushed for time.....hope you like it! :)

Chrissy100, this is delightful! I'm so glad I posted on your Oz site!

I've just posted a recipe for Plum and Cherry Brandy jam on the USA forum as well.

USA site: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/763353/
European site: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/762821/

I'll add a link to this site onto the American and European sites as well! Between all 3 sites, hopefully, we should have some treasures in our pantries! I'm wading through my books to see if I can find some more recipes. So far I've just found the one I posted on the USA link. Yum!
Joanmary

Hi Joanmary just popped in to say I still have guests tonight...but won't forget your recipes tomorrow...are you interested in fruit preserved in Port /Brandy etc?....let me know :)

Chrissy100, Port/Brandy/Kahlua/+++Yes, all of them. I knew I had a couple of books with these types of recipes in them, but its taken me a while to find them! I'm adding a few of the recipes here. Hope you too find them interesting: None of these recipes are done in the pressure cooker.

PEACH CONSERVE 8 . 8oz jars.
4lb fresh peaches, peeled, pitted, diced
48 dried apricot halves, cut in small piees
3cups light brown sugar
3cups granulted sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1cup blanched, toasted almonds, chopped
1/4 c slivered angelica
1/2 cup B&B
combine first 5 ingredients & cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, about 15 mnutes or til mixture is thickened. Remove from heat and stir in remaining ingredients. Put up.

CRANBERRY-APPLE JAM 6 X 8oz jars
3c sugar
3/4 c water
4 1/2 c cranberries
2 medium apples, peel, core, chop
1/4 c creme de cassis.
Heat sugar and water in saucepan till sugar dissolves. Add fruit and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring often, 15 min or till the mixture is thick. Remove from heat and stir in liqueur. Pot up.

CRANBERRY RELISH 3 Cups
1 can whole cranberry sauce
1 orange, peel, dice
1/4 t cinnamon
1/4 t mace
1/4 t nutmeg
1/2 c orange juice
1/4 c Curacao.
Blend all ingredients in a blender & chill before serving.

ORANGE MARMALADE 6 X 6oz jars
2c wine (May wine)
3 oranges, thinly sliced
1 lemon, thinly sliced
1.4 c lemon juice
1 6oz bottle fruit pectin
1 1/4 c light brown sugar
1/2 c triple sec
Simmer wine and fruits 1 hour or till rind is tender. (can be done in the pressure cooker)
Stir in lemon juice and pectin, bring to boil, add sugar and cook 2 min, stirring constantly. Cool marmalade to lukewarm, stir in liqueur. Pot up.

MINT JELLY4 x 8oz glasses
1c green creme de menthe
1c water
2 1/2 c sugar
6T fruit pectin
4 sprigs fesh mint.
Heat first 3 ingredients in double boiler, stirringtillsugar dissolves. Remove from heat and stir inpectin. Boil mint sprigs for 1 minute and put one in each of 4 sterilized jelly glasses. Skim jelly, pour into glasses and seal.

Cumquat Marmalade with Drambuie (served in Gov., House Australia) Very Posh ha ha ha

1 kilo (2lbs ) of Cumquats
4 cups of water
(for each cup of pulp...1 and 1/2 cups of water and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice).
to finish jam.... 1/2 a cup of Drambuie

Wash the cumquats and cut into slices.Remove pips (keeping to the side).Wrap the pips in some muslin or cloth (as they help to set the jam).
Cover fruit and pips with water and let stand overnight
Next day transfer the fruit,pips and water to a saucepan and bring to boil....cook gently until the fruit is tender.Discard the pips.
Measure out the pulp and add the measured sugar and lemon juice
as given per cup.Cook this until the fruit is clear and the jam forms a skin when placed on a cold saucer.Cool to tepid then stir in the drambuie....bottle and seal in dry sterile jars.
This makes about 6 cups and keeps well for 12 months....a lovely rich and exotic flavour.
-------------------------------------------------------

Prunes In Spiced Port.

500g (2lbs) large desert prunes (seedless)
2 cups of Tawny Port
1 cinnamon stick
2 strips lemon rind
2 strips orange rind
3 tablespoons of brown sugar

Pour Port into a saucepan...add cinnamon stick,lemon and orange strips...and the sugar.
Heat gently until mixture just comes to the boil.
Place prunes in a bowl and pour hot liquid over the prunes....leave stand until cold.
Remove Cinnamon stick,but leave the rinds in the syrup.take out the prunes with a slotted spoon and place in jars,slowly pour the syrup over the prunes filling all the gaps.Seal.
Makes 4 cups
Leave for a week before using
Keeps well for 12 months (ha ha ha that's funny ...they will be eaten well before then:)

This is a very rich tasting....and highly flavoured treat.Serve with ice cream....or whipped cream...chop and mix into fruitcakes or puddings,,,or fruit mince. (no not on the cornflakes! ha ha ha)
makes a great gift presented with a bottle of Port.
This is one of my favourites.

-------------------------------------------------------
more later :)

KIWI AND PINEAPPLE JAM WITH KIRSCH 1.75 liters (3 pints)
3 kiwi-fruit, peeled and cut into chunks
925g (2lb) fresh pineabble (weighed after pineapple has been cored and peeled)
580g (1 1/4 lb) sugar with pectin
8Tbsp Kirsch.
Process fruit to a pure. Put inn heavy saucepan, add sugar and stir over moderate heat till the sugar is dissolved. Raise the heat and bring to a rolling boil. Boil for about 4- minutes or till jam has set. Remove from heat. Stir in the Kirsch and pot up immediately.

STRAWBERRY AND RUM PRESERVE
A large glass jar with a tight fitting lid
a variety of soft fruit
rum or brandy
granulated or caster sugar
It is traditional to begin with strawberries, but you can begin with your favourite fresh fruit, as long as it is ripe (not over ripe( and full of flavour.
Start with strawberries. Layer them at the bottom of the jar. Sprinkle with sugar and cover with either rum or brandy.
Add more fruit as it comes into season, sprinkling each layer with sugar and covering with the liquor of your choice.
Fruit with pips should be skinned and stoned before being used. (Peaches, nectarines cherries)
choose constrasting colour of fruit for the layers.
Avoid rhubarb, apples and melon.
Store jar in a cool, dark place and leave for at least 3 months before using.
Serve spoonfuls over ice cream or in small glasses with a dollop of whipped cream.
Or fill small jars with the rumtopf as gifts.

Ideal fruits are:
Pineapple (remove rind & core and cut in large cubes)
Cherries (any variety, pitted)
Apricots (halves, pitted)
Nectarines (halves, pitted)
Peaches (remove pits and cut in halves, quarters, or slices)
Pears (cored, peeled & sliced)
Plums (remove seed and half or quarter)
Grapes (sweet seedless red or green grapes are ideal)
Strawberries (don't wash, just remove stem & leaves). Strawberries will lose their red color.
Raspberries (don't wash). Raspberries will lose some of their red color.
Red currants (removed from stem)

Other less ideal fruits, may be added if you wish:
Blackberries or Blueberries (can be bitter and can discolor the other fruits)
Watermelon and Cantaloupe chunks (can make the mixture a bit watery)
Rhubarb (can make mixture sour)
Apples
Melon
Bananas (too mushy)
Citrus (too acidic)

Or you can mix all the fruit together with the sugar before putting it into the jar
Directions:
Wash and dry the inside of the Rumtopf.
Wash and dry the first chosen fruit. (Don't wash Strawberries and Raspberries.)
Remove any stems, seed and pits.
In a separate bowl cover the fruit with an equal weight of granulated sugar and allow to sit for one hour. (example: 3 pounds of fruit and 3 pounds of sugar)
Place the fruit, sugar and any juices left in the bowl into the Rumtopf.
Pour in just enough rum or brandy to cover the fruit.
Weigh the fruit down with a clean saucer or plate
Cover the opening of the Rumtopf with plastic (to avoid evaporation) and place the lid firmly on top.
Store in a cool place away from heat and sunlight.

Adding additional layers of fruit:
For each additional layer of fruit follow the instructions above, but use only half as much sugar.
(Example: 3 pounds of fruit and 1 1/2 pounds of sugar.)
After the fruit and sugar has rested for one hour, gently add this mixture onto the earlier layer.
Do not mix the fruits.
Add more rum or brandy to cover the new layer.
Cover with fresh Saran or plastic wrap and the lid.

Throughout the summer, repeat the process for each new fruit until your Rumtopf is full.
Then allow the entire mixture to sit for another 4 to 6 weeks. It is best at 2-3 months, which is just in time for the Holiday festivities.

This is to die for ....very rich....desert preserve ...serve with ice cream ...vanilla yoghurt
or slices of buttery cake

Apricots with ginger and almonds

4 cups of water
1 cup of sugar
8ozs of dried apricots
4 thin slices of lemon cut into small pieces
1/3rd cup of glace ginger chopped into small pieces
1/2 cup of port
1/3 cup of slivered almonds
1/2 a cup of brandy

Place water and sugar in a saucepan...bring to boil...and then simmer for about 5 mins
Add apricots and lemon .....simmer gently until soft...uncovered
Some of the liquid will cook away but there will be enough left
to cover the fruit....if there is still too much liquid remove the apricots with a slotted spoon and set aside...reduce the liquid down further if you want to on a rapid boil for a couple of minutes
Then return the apricots to the liquid
Add the port and ...bring to the boil
Remove from the heat and add almond slivers
Then the brandy.
cool a little...then pour into dry sterile jars and seal when cold.
makes 4/5 cups ...improves if left for a week (hard to do after you smell it :)
keeps for 4 months ...fridge it after opening.
I urge you to double this quantity as I know you will just love it.

Chrissy, I'm so glad you posted this one. I have pureed, dried apricots sitting in the frige and was wondering what to do with them. Actually, they take up too much room so I decided I Have to use them pronto! I have all the ingredients on hand too! I'll make it this coming week!

I love Kumquats - I'm trying to find someone who will do an exchange with me for a Kumquat tree. I have some huge Artabotrys Hexapetalus (Ylang Ylang vine/shrubs) plants in pots and with the hurricanes I'm just so tired of lugging all these hefty pots to and fro re safety, when the forecast is for hurricanes! These plants are so rare I just cant get myself to just give them away! Hence the hope that someone will want one badly enough to complete a swop with me! I've just bought a tangerine tree and some time ago I bought a '3 in 1' citrus tree consisting of Meyers Lemon, Navel Orange and Tangelo. I have 5 lemons so far, but that's it! Maybe the others are seasonal, but this is the season so.......
Anyway, soon I'll pick my own citrus. Wish I could find an Ugli fruit tree. Seems they are few and far between in the nurseries.
Can you get Cranberries easily in A? I have some delicious recipes for them. They are autumn fruit, but stocked year round in the supermarket freezers here. Let me know, ok.

BLACK FOREST PRESERVE 1.5 liters (2 1/2 pints)
1.2 kg (2 1/2 lb) black cherries, stoned
juice of 2 lemons
1.3 kg (3 lb) sugar with Pectin
8 Tablespoons Kirsch.
Place prepared cherries in a pan with lemon juice and sugar. Bring slowly to the boil, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved. Then boil hard for about 5 minutes till setting point is reached. Add the Kirsch and pot up immediately.

Peach jam I made recently! No liquor in them, alas.

Thumbnail by bedouin
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

OMG. Chrissy, you are just plain decadent, darlin'. Everywhere I go....there you are with the most wooonddderrrrfuullll things.

It is past my bedtime so guess will take this up in the morning...ta ta

LouC

Excuse the dried fruit stuff it is coming to the end of winter here...
I have a special fondness for dried apricots...and you will just love the ones I have posted...got them from a gourmet book many years ago ...it was Scottish or English.....
these days due to a hand injury I don't chop like I used to...sure do miss it...I have many preserves pickles chutney ....recipes ...including ones that have won prizes at the Royal Easter Show...it looks like you probably don't need too many...I have only sent you ones that I have done myself and loved...sorry about the pressure cooker thing...you mean like a bottling thing?.....we call them Fowlers vacolas....no I haven't used them I just sterilize my bottles.....my nanna did every veg and fruit like that. What are you particularly interested in?...a bit of everything or just liquor ...stuff I think you can pop a tablespoon of something you like on top of the top of the jam at a pinch ...brandy is good on almost anything...while you can use whisky on the marmalade.
Will I keep sending here and there?
Lucky you with all those lovely trees and shrubs...why don't you open a thread in the garden talk forum and tell folks what you would like to give and send they will jump out from everywhere....good luck :)

crissy100, I've added all these recipes to DG recipe forum, so lets post there: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/764883/

I'd made some jams but wanted to add liquor to the ones I'd planned to still make, but could not find my books at the time, so posted for some recipes so I could continue with the jam making! Hunting around I did finally locate them so am able to add to the liquor recipe collection we've started here.

I've always used the Pressure Cooker to soften the fruit. It cuts this step by 2/3, time-wise! I also use the 'inversion method' instead of boiling the filled bottles at the end. This is how I do my jam:
Oven on to 250 degrees F. When temp has been reached, I put the weighed sugar into an oven proof container and pop it into the oven so the sugar will warm up.
In the meantime, I wash the bottles in the dishwasher and then add them to the 250F oven to keep them hot. I add (I think its 1/3) of water to the Pressure Cooker together with the fruit which needs to be softened. For 3 fruit marmalade (1 grapefruit, 2 oranges and 2 lemons (3 lbs)) I pressure cook the fruit for 10 minutes at 10psi. I let the steam out. Add whatever liquid is left in the recipe, along with the warmed sugar, stirring all the while. I bring to boil slowly, stirring the sugar all the time till it melts, then boil it up rapidly. (I have a problem getting it to get quite often, so I always add a pouch of liquid Pectin towards the very end). boil that up for a minute and pot each jar separately, closing the lid tightly and inverting the jar, then continue with the next jar etc. The inverted jars are turned right side up after 5 minutes of being inverted. I dont do the 'boiling up' method at all.

Hope I've not left any of the steps out. I should get my trusty recipe out and type it up so its available to everyone. I'll do that on the other site soon if anyone is interested.

I suppose I've had a problem finding P.C. recipes 'cause soft fruit could possibly be 'mush' if cooked for too long in the P.C.!

So lets post on the above site, if you dont mind. Time to go to bed! Cheers,

Chrissy, I'm doing the Apricots and Ginger & Almond jam right now.....Do I add the ginger at the same time as the lemon to the apricots? I hope so! J.

Sorry mate did not see this until now ....yes!.....please let me know how you liked it.....mmmmmm sure to be a favourite! posting more later :)

Coffs Harbour, Australia

I hate cooking!

I would like to point out that this one is a preserve not a jam ..I hope that you were not expecting a jam......now I am worried .....let me know how you went :)

Now WW this is easy.... even for people who don't like cooking :) and the taste is worth it!

Ah Chrissy! So thats why it did not thicken, despite a pouch of pectin added! Oops! The contentes are back into the pot to be reboiled later this evening when I have a mo; I thought I'd not boiled the liquid down sufficiently! Not a problem Chrissy. I'll just boil it up again and repot. What an aroma! Utterly delicious. Of course I had to take a teaspoon to flavour it. Hmm delicious! Then another, then...........Ahh.....yes, its fabulous!
I went on eBay with no luck, but on Amazon.com I found a couple of interesting books re liqueurs and preserves. Its really odd that there is not more published material on this subject! Even went to the UK eBay. Maybe your (Oz) eBay may have some interesting material on this subject. If I remember later on, i'll access it and see.
I added 2 more recipes on http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/764883/

WW, this is not cooking...... really! Its having fun in the kitchen with delicious results! Its also fun to give the little bottled-up delights to friends, for no reason other than that they contain delicious contents! :)

It should turn out like a thick puree I should have explained...if you like that I will send you Apricot butter......

Apricot Butter
200grms of dried apricots (6 and 1/2 ozs)
250 grms (8 ozs) of castor sugar
60grms (2ozs) butter
1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons of orange liqueur
Place dried apricots into a bowl and cover with water.
leave stand for 30 mins
Transfer to a saucepan,cover and simmer until the apricots soften
drain and put through a food processor to make a fine pulp.
Place the sugar,butter,lemon rind and juice in a basin....and stand in a frypan of hot water....heat until butter has melted, add the apricot puree.
Beatthe eggs and mix them in...then whisk or stir the mixture until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon,add the liqueur.
Place in warm sterile jars....seal when cold.
Makes a generous 2 cups....keep in the fridge.
use on scones...muffuns...as a pie or tart filling....cake filling or mixed with cream :)

Riverside, CA

I just wanted to let you know that I have a wonderful book call Preserving (by Oded Schwartz). It has detailed instructions on different preserving methods, including preserving in alcohol. It is layed out extremely well (I collect cook books) and has superb photographs of every single recipe. I would highly recommend this book to anyone interested in canning, and it has a generous selection of fruit and even some vegetable preserved in liquor/brandy, rum, vodka, etc.

rosetta TASMANIA, Australia

a plain 'tomato and onion chutney'done with easysaauce,no 'gay' cloves/pineapple/bay leaves or ginger.i'd love some[like they used to make ],.,.,..and,.,....theres some recipes boiling as i speak

This message was edited Aug 8, 2010 5:56 PM

This message was edited Aug 15, 2010 7:37 AM

g_wizz, I found an old recipe for Tomato Chutney in a schoolbook dated 1965! It has many, many super preservations recipes.
"Bulletin No. 381. FOOD PRESERVATION. Compiled by the SECTION HOME ECONOMICS AND DIETETICS. Department of Agricultural Technical Services. Printed in the Republic of South Africa by the Government Printer, Pretoria, 1963".

TOMATO CHUTNEY
2 lbs tomatoes
2 onions
1c sugar
1T mustard
1T ginger
2T salt
pinch cayenne pepper
1 pint vinegar
1/2 lb sultanas.
1. Place the tomatoes in boiling water for a couple of minutes and then plunge them into cold water. Pull off the skins. Slice the onions.
2. Mix all the ingredients, except the sultanas, and simmer, while stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes are tender. Rub through a coarse sieve.
3. Mince and add the sultanas. Boil to the right consistency.
4. Pour the hot chutney into jars and seal.

rosetta TASMANIA, Australia

whoo-sounds grouse,except for the sultanas..its a great recipe,but in the place of sultanas,say' hot chillies and some easysauce and more black pepper'.,.im nearly tempted to make a gallon!

Brisbane, Australia

Folks, those are fantastic recipes. Here's a super easy one...might be something for you Anthony - just add some chili maybe

ELSIE'S TOMATO RELISH
465gm/1lb tomatoes - peeled & chopped finely
465gm/1lb onion - finely diced
1 cup white sugar
1 cup white vinegar
1 tablesp salt
1/2 - 1 tablesp curry powder
- Boil all together for 20 minutes.
- Thicken with 2 tablesp cornflour (corn starch) in a little water.
- Boil 3 minutes longer.

Sydney NSW, Australia

LeisaD,

Have been browing thru' these recipes and came upon the last that for Relish says
465gm/1lb......thought that 1Kg = 2.2lb???
Maybe I am confused and not reading as intended. I like the thought of cooking this as we like tomatoey things and I wouldn't want to under or over cook.
Anna :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.