Pooch's late summer dahlias

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

These might have bloomed earlier if our summer hadn't taken a vacation lately. It seems to have disappeared into autumn already. Here's Puget Sparkle, new to me from Connell's and a robust, bushy plant almost as wide as it is tall, and full of stems.

Another bright red, smaller formal decorative maybe 3 inches across.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Very Nice. Superb form. Bet the florists love that one. Good stems ?

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

They haven't seen this one yet, but they'll like it. The stems are above average for sure, not like rebar but certainly good enough. They don't care if I bring in the wimpiest, weakest stem. I hate some of the flowers I deliver and they just eat them up. Floral wire fixes many things, I guess. Fatima comes to mind: consistently weak stems, I threaten to toss it every year but they love the hot pink dainty bloom. ( I do too LOL, but I hate the fact that no matter what I do for the plant, the stems are weak.)

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

A few more are open
This is the Fidalgo Julie like last year's; not like the earlier one on my other thread. I really like the ones with a darker color reverse side petal.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Maarn- Such a different tangerine orange and a nice cutting flower.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Sea Oro- tall towering monster! These aren't open all the way but I needed a shot of it this a.m. anyway. Should have used a ladder but didn't. B sized 6-8 inches and a goldy orange. Great autumn color.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Smoots! Smoots! Another dark pink tinged purple laciniated dahlia and a favorite for both color and frill. No ladder necessary here; only 3.5 ft tall.
Without an ADS color chart, I again bow to Crayola and say this one's closest to a dark Razzmatazz (number 97 if you scroll down to the far chart on the left.) :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Crayola_crayon_colors Gotta love Wikipedia!

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I lost Hissy Fitz this spring, but gained Hale Bopp which is very similar in color and form. Hale Bopp kicks out more ~6 inch wide flowers and is fuller. This is a poor example with gnarly center formation, but others have been much nicer.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Here's a mystery comparing two of the same tubers, I think: #1- Peaches N Cream 5 feet tall. Kind of splotchy isn't it? Not one I really care too much about.

And (to follow)3 feet away hidden from much sun was the 2nd tuber of the same name.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

the very short, shaded Peaches N Cream. I like this one better!

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Another new red, not black dark red, but a rich darker red. Hockley Maroon. Lots of flowers about 3 inches or less across.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

And here's the last of the newly opened: Salsa Picante. This one I like a lot. Sizzling colors. Only partially open here, but I couldn't help myself LOL.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Salsa Picante : HOT HOT HOT
So many tones in that one.

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wow! A great bunch! Hale Bopp is awesome, great lacinated tips.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Yes your Sea Oro is amongst the tallest here this year.
I think I like Fidalgo Julie - I don't recall how it looked before. Maarn's nice of course. Is that Peaches N Cream related to the SOB Peaches and Cream I have? Form and color are close.

Buckeye, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thanks Poochella for the eye candy...I love them all!
Carla

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Yowser! Gorgeous blooms Poochella!

Joanne

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

drool.......

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

great,great,great colors!!!!! i love them all.thanks for the eye candy poochella.-erika

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Thank y'all.

Al, I think there's a fair bit of confusion over the two names Peaches N Cream and Peaches and Cream. I know I'm confused about it. The two shown above both came from Aztec, not that I asked for them, they were subs or bonuses. I'll see how these two plants do and decide their fate later this fall.

Buckeye, AZ(Zone 9a)

LOL...Poochella...you can always put there fate in my hands!!!
Carla

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Yummy!!!! Tamara

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

two more:
Al, this is your second unknown pink/white, but it's mostly pink here and reminds me very much of my beloved 'Monet' from costco, but lost a couple years ago.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

And Lavid is open! A whole flock of them ready to open. Nice lavender, great stems. :))))

Thumbnail by Poochella
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Lavid came by way of Mone - where is Mone? The first one I will let you classify - I couldn't decide if it is a WL or SC, puts out a lot of flowers either way. Alll I have left of yours to flower here is Yellow Star.

This was my Peaches & Cream BTW. I'll keep it the rest of this year - then I'm going to back over it with my car.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=3808017

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Mone come back! I'm sure she's busy hopping about the many places she has plants, busy with her job, and family too.

NOID Pink2 could be a waterlily. I don't know. I like it though.

LOL on the car backing up. I'll give my Peaches and Creams a couple more chances to prove their stuff. It wasn't a bad flower, just hit and miss on colors.

Buckeye, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wow Poochella beautiful Lavid....

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Pooch - I was going to ask you, have you grown or seen Hy Sockeye or Danjo Doc? Looking at one of those for next year.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Okay, I definitely need Lavid - on my list for next year! Spectacular Poochella!!

Joanne

Delhi, IA

Love all the intense and sizzling colors!!! Beauts!!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Carla I'll gladly give you a Peaches N Cream, Peaches and Cream, or Peaches & Cream because it's just too confusing a name! To top it off, I got a plain old Peaches- nice simple name, from Lenjo. That should bloom in 7-10 days.

Lavid came so highly recommended by Pitimpani, and now I know why. It's small here- I was expecting a huge flower, but just right at about 5-6 inches so far.

Thanks Jam and Joanne.

Al, I have Danjo Doc. Haven't seen Hy Sockeye, but I have a wildly red Hy Lobster opening! Couple more days to photo. On Danjo Doc, I've had one flower to date and another bud is coloring up. While pondering many important things while watering for hours today, ( like how much I hate watering) I decided I would give it one more try next year and then abandon it for ones I know are going to bloom better. It has a plenty of buds, and is a great dark dark red, so perhaps it deserves a couple weeks to pass muster. Right now it is reminiscent of Yvonne's performance here---oh wait, Yvonne bloomed in October. LOL!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Some more new and a couple old ones:

Wyn's Autumn Reverie B size Cactus in gold and orange. Great colors, close to Sea Oro but amazingly smaller for the Wynne's and their reputation for growing big dahlias. One of those in a few days.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Yuukyu a medium large ID in pure white. It's fluffly. LOL nice stems!

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Yuukyu from the side

Thumbnail by Poochella
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I'd rather have fluffly

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Lenjo's creation Berry Bounty is open! I am honored to have it. Thanks, Joanne! I can't describe or capture the wonderful color: not one you see often. Muted brick red might do it. Cute 3 inch blooms for me here.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I had this labelled 'Dusty Daydream,' but it looks suspiciously like Skipley Spot of Gold jumped into the planting hole instead! I have more Dusty Daydreams coming along, but I think they won't look like this.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Chimacum Kathleen is getting bigger as the season goes on. A nice waterlily.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

CG Coral is really a nice rich color and is finally blooming outside the bush rather than in it.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Another take at Seduction: white and purple with dark purple edges. It has wonderful upright well-separated stems, like Patty Cake and others, that aren't all gnarled together. Don't know if there is a term for that, but it makes it very easy to tend and cut the flowers.

Thumbnail by Poochella

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.